I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

It’s a New Year! And I Just Can’t Stay Away…

First of all, let me say, Happy New Year! I for one am happy to see 2015 end and am looking forward to a new year and new adventures. 

Last October, I said goodbye to this blog and thought I would focus on my quilting blog. I tried reviving that blog; but it has been inactive for too many years and the connection with other bloggers just wasn’t there. It became very clear that bloggers in the online selling community are much more connected. Truth is, I miss this blog and all of you. 

I was also burned out on eBay and online selling in general. It had become a chore, and I was all too happy to finally put it on the back burner. I didn’t close down my store, but I did downgrade and only sporadically worked on it. As a result, I lost my TRS discount. Although I expected this, it was still bittersweet since I had worked so hard to get it and then keep it.


As you all know, however, life is full of twists and turns and things don’t always go as expected. My DD and 2 DGDs came to live with me end of July last year, and I was thrilled to have them back home in California. Originally, this was to be a temporary arrangement; but after many family discussions, my DD decided to go to school FT to finally get her Bachelor’s degree. She is halfway there and going FT means she will accomplish this goal faster and can start her professional career (hopefully, with more money) that much sooner. 

DD had been working FT at Walgreens for a few years. When she moved back, she was able to transfer to a store not far from home. But at the end of this month, she will be working PT and will start her college courses in February. She is so looking forward to her new life!


So, here we are in the beginning of 2016, and I am once again looking to eBay to supplement our income. I think taking the year “off” from FT selling has helped me re-energize and re-focus my efforts on eBay. Towards the end of last year, I had pretty much given up on eBay. By November, I think I had only 20 items in my store and made ONE sale that month! But December came along and things started to change. 

I guess I’m not the only one who needed a break from blogging. I recently read this post from Scott Davis @ Barry’s Books. His previous post was in July last year, and he explains he just lost his passion for blogging. I certainly understand, but his recent post made me yearn to start blogging again. He has a very entertaining style of writing and I am glad he’s back! 

When I started blogging way back in 2010, I wanted to journal about my online selling adventures and hopefully in the process help others. Until last year, my eBay business was a huge part of my day-to-day life. But, for 2016, I want to have a more balanced life by spending more time with family – having fun and creating memories – but also have fun with my online business. I don’t want it to take over my life to the point that it becomes a chore and no longer fun. 

I can’t promise you a rose garden and I can’t promise I’ll post every week – although it is my intention to post regularly. And as long as I’m selling online, I will continue to post about my business adventures; but one thing I would like to change is to make this blog a little more personal. I will post not just about my thrifting adventures but also about my new adventures with my girls! 

So I hope you come back – I hope you stick around – and I am just happy to be back!

17 comments:

  1. Good to see you back! I don't blog as often as I did since I started working full time. I also don't post much about online selling because I'm not doing much of that anymore, but I hear it calling out to me now and then. I do miss the extra money so I may get back into it, but on a smaller scale. Since discovering Facebook, I find myself there more than on my blog, but I still look for opportunities to post and keep up with it because, like you said, there is a community out there that is connected and I want to stay in touch. I think it's great that you want to add more personal posts about your family. I look forward to getting to know them! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've continued to read your blog and you are one of the folks that I feel connected to. Reading about you and your family makes me feel as if I know you in person. I was also on Facebook last year, mainly to keep in touch with my long distance relatives and a few friends. I do read FB for quilting posts but it's just not same as blogging for me. I'm so glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back; it's nice to see you! I also took a break from my blog -- too busy with online selling to keep up with it. But have been thinking of doing a post here and there instead of trying to post regularly. I know there are people who still read the blogs -- they've emailed me as to my whereabouts! -- but with the instant gratification of Facebook and Instagram...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have noticed quite a few of the bloggers I follow don't post as often as they used to. Seems like we're all taking a break at the same time LOL! I've also noticed more folks are doing FB and IG, but it's just not the same as blogging for me. So glad you did stop by!

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to your posts this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just reading your blog - catching up on missed posts. I was inspired to get to blogging about my eBay adventures after reading your blog! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  4. Welcome back! I also am not doing much ebaying, and have maybe 10 items listed. I probably won't get back into it fully until the summer comes around again due to my full time job. But I love to read selling blogs and I look forward to yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading selling and thrifting blogs too! They inspire and motivate me to keep on going. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. so glad to see you post again! I'm burned out too and I only post sporatically at best. It is nice to keep me on track though (I hate always posting I lost money LOL). Best of luck to DD! Look forward to your posts even if they are only occassionally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been keeping up with your blog and feel that I've made that journey with you. I hope 2016 is better for you and you can start posting about making some money! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  6. Glad you are back. I've missed your posts about thrifting at the pound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by! So happy to know you are all still out there!

      Delete
  7. Glad you're back. I eased up on blogging last summer and that gave me renewed energy, too. Look forward to your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's good to take a break. It helps to get your mojo back :) Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you're back, too! I love Ebay blogs and I've been reading yours for a long time. Looking forward to some BOLO posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAHOO!!! I'm so glad you re-evaluated and are back renewed and rejuvenated!! Sometimes a break is all it takes. And I think your loyal readers will take what you write with no expectations of a specific # of posts.

    Personally, I'm not a fan of Facebook yet. So for me I turn to the blogs as it's just plain fun to read what other people find (and share their joy and excitement!), their way of approaching selling, listing, cleaning, shipping (and even refunding) etc. in a nice tidy format. And I can't believe all the tips and BOLOs that I've gathered from reading the eBay blogs (I found many of my other favorites from your sidebar links) - it's a great community. There's enough out there for everyone.

    So good luck on your new journey with your family and selling. With the burn out lifted, I hope it becomes fun again for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As another Southern California girl I always enjoyed hearing about what you bought and sold. I'm glad you are back!

    ReplyDelete