I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Sunday, January 24, 2016

2015 Year-End Review

Thank you all so much for your comments on my last post.  I wondered if anyone was still following me after my "farewell" and was hoping to hear from maybe 1 or 2 of you.  I was so happy to hear from as many of you as I did and was truly touched by your "welcome back".  It really inspires and motivates me to get this blog back on track; and I'll start by giving you a quick summary of how my sales went (or rather didn't) in 2015 ...


Wells Fargo Rose Parade Legendary Horse Black AL Stuffed Plush 2009 – Paid $0.62 @ GWO – Sold Lot of 2 for $121.96  – Net Margin 77%


I am still surprised that, with little to no effort on my part, I still had sales every month in 2015 – even if it was only 1 or 2.  I had 214 sales – which averaged about 18 a month.  However, that number is deceiving because almost half of those sales were made in January, which I posted about here.

Last January, I listed most of my remaining 2014 inventory at auction for $0.99 and had 89 sales that month – the most in a month that year.  In February, I again listed many items at clearance prices.  That month I had 37 sales.  Old stock that didn’t sell by March was donated to the thrift store, although I did keep a few items.  I still maintained just under 50 items in my store.  Eventually, many of those items were also donated when I went through another purging/decluttering frenzy in July.  By then I had just under 30 items listed.


I didn’t do much product sourcing either.  Most of my thrifting and saling adventures were for personal fun.  I did find a handful of items to resell at a couple of yard sales.  I’m just happy that both DD and DGDs love to thrift shop as much as I do. I guess the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree!  Here’s DGD#3 with a chess set I got at the GW outlet.

In December, when I started getting my eBay mojo back, I picked up a few toys at the 99-Cent store.  I found a Star Wars Anakin talking figure for $4.99.  I thought this was a major score and bought a bunch thinking I would sell them on Amazon; but then I discovered that I was not approved to sell toys on Amazon so that pretty much put the final nail on the coffin on that venue.  I ended up selling the toys on eBay, but they did not sell for as much as I hoped.




Here’s the breakdown ...

Revenue:  Just under $4,000

Number of sales: 214, of these 171 were stock from 2014
  • eBay - 194
  • Amazon – 20
Highest sale: $121.96 (Wells Fargo plush pictured above)

Lowest sale: $0.99 (plus shipping) – 41 items sold at this price

Average revenue per item: $18.25


Here are a few more of my top sellers:


Harley Davidson Freedom Rider Helmet Leather Black DOT Medium – Paid $1.28 @ GWO – Sold for $49.99 – Net Margin 61%


Original Steiff Germany Junior Leo Lion #2897/30 KNOPF IM OHR – Paid $0.71 @ GWO – Sold for $40 – Net Margin 70%


Ju-Ju-Be PackaBe Diaper Bag Brown with Blue Discontinued Backpack Style – Paid $4 @ GW – Sold for $54 – Net Margin 51%


COCOMOTION by Mr. Coffee Hot Chocolate Maker Hot Cocoa Machine Model HC4 – Paid $7.19 @ GW – Sold for $48.84 – Net Margin 60%


RADKO Harley Davidson Fat Boy Aqua Motorcycle with Presents Glass Ornament – Paid $2 @ GS – Sold for $39.99 – Net Margin 70%


And, finally, here is the Star Wars Anakin figure that I bought at the 99-Cent Store.  I bought 13 of these; I gave away 3 as Christmas gifts and I sold the remaining 10.  I priced them “to sell” as I didn’t want to get stuck with them.  My net margin was low, but I still made about $54 profit on the bunch.

Star Wars Anakin to Darth Vader Talking Action Figure Color Changing Lightsaber – Paid $4.99 @ 99-Cent Store – Sold for $19.95 – Net Margin 25%



I hope 2016 has started off great for you and I am definitely looking forward to what the new year brings. 


Now that’s cash for trash!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I love your blog and I'm so glad you are going to continue to blog about online selling and all. When you said you are not approved to sell on Amazon, did you mean Merchant Fulfilled? Just asking because you could have shipped them to Amazon and sold them FBA. I'm not approved to FBM either so I just did FBA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was merchant fulfilled. I received an email in November telling me I couldn't sell toys unless it was FBA, but I'd forgotten all about it since I was no longer selling on Amazon. I didn't do FBA because I bought the toys about a week into December and just wanted to do quick sales. In hindsight, I should have sent them in anyway; they would have sold well after Christmas. Live and learn! BTW, thanks for the kind words and so glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you are back! I have sold on ebay off and on for many years. Mostly always as a fun way to supplement our income. I took a break for most of last year as well and have recently started selling again. I only list a handful of items a week - I am a SAHM with 4 kids that I homeschool so my time is limited when it comes to ebay. But I do enjoy thrifting and listing things I find. I focus on toys mostly (b/c I have so many kids and have bought so many toys over the years :) I also love to look for antiques and kitchen items. Good luck with your new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- Who would have known Wells Fargo stuffed horses could go for so much? I wonder if I've ever passed them up at the thrift store? Probably have! And will I remember that the next time I see one at a thrift store? Probably not! But I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some nice flips, especially the Harley helmet. Only paid $1.28? What a deal!

    ReplyDelete