I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Thrifty Treasures Thursday

It’s hard to believe that I haven’t been to any garage-estate-rummage sales this year – not a single, solitary one.  But I recently made my way to the GWO, which I hadn't been to since April.

When I got there, I was surprised – and happy – to see the parking lot was relatively empty.  I was also happy to know their price was still 69-cents a pound for non-clothing items.  But when I walked in, I was disappointed to see that most of their bins were filled with clothes. I didn't expect to find much; but by the time I walked up to the cashier, I had a full cart of goodies.


8080 (1)

There is so much crap junk in the bins that it’s sometimes easy to overlook the good stuff.  I don’t know why I picked up these sunglasses because I didn’t notice anything outstanding about them.  But once I saw it, I recognized the brand name – Maui Jim. I listed these right away and they sold within 2 days to a buyer in Tennessee.  They have already received their glasses and left positive FB!
 

 
IMG_0233
 
I really appreciate all the information that others share – not just on blogs but also on FB posts – and how generous everyone is to share.  I would never have picked up this wooden cassette rack if I hadn’t read about it.  I don’t always remember where I read the information, but good thing the information sticks in my mind.  This one is marked Napa Valley; I don’t know if all cassette racks are good sellers or just this brand.  Here is a link to one that recently sold for $50 plus shipping.
 

IMG_0237

I spotted this GI Joe missile launcher the moment it came rolling out in a bin.  I thought I would have a fight on my hands, but everyone else was interested in shoes and purses.  Unfortunately, the jeep that goes with it was in another bin that rolled out later, and someone else beat me to it.  I’ll be listing this for $45 plus shipping.


CeCe Taos Carrier Black

This is an online picture of a CeCe Kent pet carrier that is just like one I picked up at the outlet.  When I first picked it up, I thought it was a purse.  Then I realized it was a pet carrier and thought I would keep it for Mimi, my little Chihuahua.  When I remembered how much she hates the carrier we already have, I put it back.  But it was a really nice quality suede bag and I thought it might be worth something.  Looked it up on my Smartphone and discovered these retail new for over $400!!  Holy cow, I almost tripped on my own 2 feet running back to grab it before it was gone.

Once I got home I researched it and found several online websites selling this very same bag for between $300-$500.  Are these prices real or ridiculously over-blown?  I only saw one used that sold on eBay for about $50 – blah!  My bag is very clean and looks to be unused but it’s obviously pre-owned.  I figure I paid about $1 for it, and I’m thinking I’ll list it for $200 with a Best Offer.


I found a few other things at the GWO:

  • 6 pairs of shoes
  • 3 jackets, including a vintage Levis Sherpa denim jacket
  • 2 vintage Disney/Pixar sheets
  • Some vintage dinnerware and few more odds-and-ends

I spent $82 and hope to turn that into $1100+ in revenue!  I love the outlets!

16 comments:

  1. Good luck with your sales - sadly I would have probably completely missed those sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anny, I probably walked by them a couple of times before picking them up. I'm sure there were others who thought they were cheap glasses. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  2. Nice flip on the glasses! I'm planning on making my first trip to the GW outlet next week, and I am pretty excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in for a real adventure! I had never experienced anything like it; it can be overwhelming, but can also be fun. Just don't let some of the "regulars" get you.

      Delete
  3. It's amazing that the sunglasses didn't get ruined being in those bins full of junk. That pet carrier is awesome! I bet you get full price for it. Good luck! I have to find a GWO near me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Lorraine, I thought the same thing. They did have some tiny scratches in a corner, which I disclosed; but I think that was from the previous user. I was surprised that they were in such good condition. The outlets can be overwhelming but they can also be fun. They are such a treasure trove!

      Delete
  4. So jealous of all your awesome outlet finds! I can't wait to go again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know know what treasures are hiding in those bins!

      Delete
  5. I always look at the glasses, One of my first eBay sales was a pair of RayBans I found in a case in a GWO bin. Glad the ones you found were not all scratched up. Nice finds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those are amazing finds. I'm tempted to drive the 45 minutes to go to one..not sure I want to tackle it on my own though..LOL. Hubby will need to take a day off and go with me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outlets can get pretty intense. There have been times when I wished my hubby was there, but I know it's not an adventure he would want LOL!

      Delete
  7. I sold one of those Napa Valley cassette holders a few months back for great money. It will go fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time finding one and I'm hoping it does sell fast. Of course, I have to list it first! I just hope I can find a box to ship it in before it sells. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
    2. Do you order the 12x12x8 priority boxes from USPS? The box that they use to ship them to you in is the perfect size! It's what I used when I sold mine.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the tip on the Napa Valley Box. I had one I was going to donate.... off to list it now. Thanks again

    Suzy

    ReplyDelete