I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Saturday, May 24, 2014

What’s Up with eBay and Google—and Slow Sales

First it was the new Cassini search engine, then eBay sprang the new Defect Rate (eDR) on us; and if that wasn’t enough, there was the recent security breach.  NOW I learn that Google has dropped eBay from it’s high-ranking searches. What’s up?!

A few days ago, I saw this article from eCommerce Bytes. Then yesterday, I read this post by The Thrift Store Reseller Blog.  The issue about eBay’s decreased search engine rankings really caught my attention.

I learned that on May 20 Google  introduced a new version of its Panda algorithm, which Google uses to rank websites in its search results.  It is designed to prevent sites with poor quality content from working their way into Google’s top search results. So, what happened to eBay?

Not too long ago, if you searched for any product that could be bought or sold, an eBay link was likely on the first page of results (Business Insider 05/22/14). Do a Google search today and you will not see one eBay link on the first page.  eBay has been sent to the “back of the line”.

One source says eBay lost 80% of its “best search listings” (organic rankings); other sources say 50%. No one really knows why, but there is much speculation.  “People started noticing this week that eBay was no longer showing up in search results on thousands of different queries, the thinking was that Panda was the cause.” (re/code 05/23/14)

This source, however, says eBay was penalized by Google—part of a so-called “manual action” that Google took against eBay—but the timing of Panda’s rollout made it look like eBay’s trouble was Panda-related.(Search Engine Land 05/23/14)

Most of the information I found was too techy and geeky for me.  But, what I do know is that my sales have been ridiculously slow.  eBay needs to get their act together and needs to do it quick.  Meinard @ The Thrift Store Reseller Blog has a great attitude about all this and has a lot of hope that eBay will recover.  I agree with him. eBay has to –- I need them to – because my sales depend on it!

In the meantime, I’ll not be doing any auction listings and will be listing everything in my store.  During this slow time, I will continue to list items in my Bonanza and Etsy stores, and I will do my best to weather the storm.

Sources:

Search Engine Land (05/21/14)

Business Insider (05/22/14)

re/code (05/23/14)

Search Engine Land (05/23/14)

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. It was a REALLY slow week for me too, and now I understand why. I even went through and tweaked the title of 40 or 50 listings, because I couldn't figure out why they had so few views. I'll be listing more in my etsy store this week too. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize it's a holiday weekend and the start of summer, which is always a slow period. But it hasn't been this slow since 3 or 4 years ago, when I wasn't listing as much. I'll take advantage of this bad situation by refreshing my Bonanza and Etsy stores.

      Delete
  2. from what i know if google puts you in their doghouse its like 2 or 6 months before you get out. Hopefully this will all be over by christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking that if it was going to happen, then good thing it happened during the summer. I sure hope things pick up by the holidays.

      Delete
  3. I had read that article, too. I agree that ebay needs to get their act together. I continue to list. Like you, I'm hoping for a quick and good recovery. In the meantime, I'm also listing on Amazon, and I've applied for a store at 11 Main. I'm seeing that it may not be a good idea to have all of my eggs in one basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also looking into Amazon and have already applied for an account. I just needed the kick in the behind to take the plunge. This situation with eBay is just that!

      Delete
  4. eBay sales have been slow for me as well. For the first time I'm actually selling more on Etsy than on eBay, and Etsy seller fees are way cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Etsy. I've sold my quilts and a few vintage items there. I just don't get the amount of sales there that I do on eBay although I know a lot of folks shop there.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the info--that explains a lot. I figured it was just because the holiday weekend was coming that caused my sales to be less than half of last week's. To quote the Ebay Scavengers, I will just Shut up and list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've started listing a lot more items with free shipping. It seems to be helping my sales a little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Searched for a summer dress today. No preowned came up on first pages. There were over 10,000 new ones and over 2,000 new ones. I had to filter out the new ones to get a chance to see preowned dresses. In the past both new and used would come up together during search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried browsing ebay today for the first time in a while. I found it almost impossible to get a list of auctions at the onset like you used to. Now it seems they direct you to major sellers of new and buy now products.

      Delete