I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Thrifty Treasures: Hasbro 2005 Pink Easy Bake Oven Only

7679 (1)

I will usually pick up these Easy Bake Ovens when I see them at garage sales, especially if they come with their original box and accessories.  So when I spotted this pink-and-purple 2005 version at the GW Outlet a couple months ago, I was quick to grab it.  But I couldn’t find any of its accessories and put it back.  Still,  it remained in my radar; and in the end, it came home with me. 

This older model was a new one for me so I did a quick search on eBay.  I knew it was not going to be a big seller, and I also discovered it was missing a part that goes on top.  By now I’m thinking I should have just left it behind.  But being an older model, I hoped it was “collectible” and maybe someone would like to add it to their collection.  I’d only paid 99-cents for it, so I wasn’t out much if it didn’t sell.  I listed it for $10 plus shipping.

A few days after I listed it, I received this message from another seller:

Dear goodwill_haunting,
Hi! This item has been recalled. If you fill out the form below, Hasbro will send you a box to ship it to them and then they will send you a voucher for $35. Filled it out myself yesterday. Better than the $10 you're asking
http://www.hasbro.com/customer-service/recall/Recall-Easy-Bake-Oven.cfm

Hmmm, really?  I thanked the sender for the info and quickly ended the listing.  I also filled out the form online; and a few days later I received a return box in the mail. The next day I shipped the oven off to Hasbro. 

It took a few weeks but one day I got this in the mail.  I’d forgotten all about it!

IMG_0090

The voucher is for $32 and it’s good through the end of the year.  I may just hang onto it until Christmas.  Not bad for an item I paid about 99-cents, and the best part is no listing or final value fees! 

Has anyone else had a similar experience?  If you have, please do tell!

15 comments:

  1. Hi there, well, that was a big surprise I'm sure - you really lucked out!! I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, Welcome and thanks for stopping by! Enjoyed your blog and love the name. Count me as a new follower!

      Delete
  2. Thats awesome! Im going to keep an eye out for those. I've never had that happen but I have purchased items at GW that were new with tags that I have returned for to WalMart and Macy's for store credit. Love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to that! I tried to return a couple of items bought at the GW with tags from KOHLS. Kohls has a very generous return policy and as long as the SKU is in their system, they will accept a return. My items were so old they were no longer in the system. I didn't realize the tags have dates until the clerk showed me. Not sure I'll do that again; but if I do, I'll be sure to check for dates!

      Delete
  3. I love those recalls. Gonna put them on the BOLO list for those ovens-great deal, thanks....Dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to remember to check for recalls, especially on toys and baby items. Thanks for stopping by. BTW, love your blog.

      Delete
  4. Last year, I remember reading a post from Money in the Garage talking about that same thing. I think that his was with toy trains and lead based paint or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read the same post, but never thought to check for a recall alert on this oven. I'll have to keep it in mind when I see older toys and baby items. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Awesome! Thanks for passing that info on to us. $32 to the Hasbro store is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. That's wonderful! I love it when sellers will take the time to help other sellers with good info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! That was really nice and generous of them to take the time to do it. And I am happy to pass along the info.

      Delete
  7. I have done this with an Infantino baby sling before, too! But the cool thing is, I read this post the other night, walked into the thrift this morning and spotted this exact easy bake. I would have never picked it up if it wasn't for your post! With 3 boys, $32 to the hasbro store is the exact same as cash! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to say a huge thank you! I have never commented before but wanted to break that. With the knowledge gained from this post I bought 2 of these ovens for less than $5 total and have already sent them in for my giftcards. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete