I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Selling on eBay: Vacation Settings and Sales

IMG_0129It had been several years since I’d last seen my daughter and grandkids, who now live in Texas.  I was blessed to be with her this past weekend when she graduated with an AA degree.  It took her 15 years, but with hard work and determination, she did it!

She has already been accepted to the University of Houston, where she will continue her education and follow her dream of being a teacher.  She will do this while still caring for her family.  It is with their love and support that she will be able to reach her goal.  I am so proud of her and them!


Before going on vacation, I put my store on vacation mode.  However, this time I made sure to hide my listings and block any purchases.  With the new Defect Rating, I just did not want to worry about or deal with eBay while spending time with my daughter. 

I read here that sales can be slow after turning off the vacation setting so I was expecting (and looking forward) to a little down time when I returned from my vacation.  I turned my vacation setting off Thursday evening, so I was surprised – and happy – to see four new sales within 24 hours, totaling $153!  By this morning, I had another two sales and added $118+ to the total.  Ka-ching!

I was going to refresh the RSS feed on my eBay store to give it a boost in search placement, but I haven’t even gotten to that yet.  Learn more about this little trick here.

cassini

One eBay-related thing I did do during my vacation was to read  more about eBay’s new search engine, known as Cassini.  I’d already been implementing some of the recommendations to optimize my listings.  However, the one major recommendation I had avoided was to offer 30-day returns; and Thursday evening, I finally changed all my listings from 14-day returns to 30-day.  Did this really have anything to do with my recent sales?  I don’t know, but it certainly did not seem to hurt.


Here are my best sellers so far this month.  Click on the picture to see the complete listing:

7935 (1)

Singer 503A Sewing Machine Slant-O-Matic Rocketeer Foot Pedal Case Attachments – Sold $75 Plus Shipping – Net Margin 54%

7901 (1)

Vintage 1953 Heavy Duty Singer 15-91 Sewing Machine w/ Manual & Bentwood Case – Sold $100 – Local Pickup – Net Margin 85%

Sold two more sewing machines from my personal collection.  The Singer 503A was the first sale I made after I turned off my vacation settings.  I dropped the price on this one because it was damaged and would cost about $60 to repair. As it turns out, the buyer is a “former Singer person” and knows how to fix it.

The second 1953 Singer machine has a wooden dome case and I dreaded having to pack and ship it.  Luckily, the buyer lived about 1/2 hour away and picked it up.  She was able to test the machine and was thrilled with her purchase. 

7941 (1)

Wilcox Willcox & Gibbs Sewing Machine Parts Feet Guides – Sold $82.99 – Net Margin 73%

These sewing machine parts are another sewing-related listing from my collection.  These were inside an old sewing machine cabinet that I no longer have.  I don’t know why I kept them, but decided to finally get rid of sell them.  I started the listing at $5.00 plus $6.99 shipping and would have been happy with that, just to see them gone.  So I was absolutely thrilled these sold for over $80 to a buyer in Canada.

7960 (1)

Scrabble Deluxe Edition with Turntable Rotating Board Complete 1999 – Paid $0.86 – Sold $45 – Net Margin 64%

Purchased this at the GW outlet for about 86 cents.  It sold within a week.  Secured the game pieces, wrapped the box using brown paper bags, and off it went to a buyer in California.

7948 (1)

Disney Characters Mickey Mouse Dumbo Pinocchio Birthday Cloth Tablecloth Vintage – Paid $1.29 – Sold $81.50 – Net Margin 74%

I found this great Disney tablecloth at the GW outlet and paid about $1.29 for it.  I knew it would be a good seller, but never expected it to sell for as much as it did.  It had definitely been used, but the colors in the characters were in great condition so I started the auction at $9.99.  This went to a buyer in Pennsylvania.

7531 (2)

Music Reuge Antique Vintage Swiss Made Plush Musical Cow Bull Doll Toy AS-IS – Paid $0.71 – Sold $45

I hope not to offend anyone, but this is really one of the ugliest looking cows I have ever seen.  The only reason I bought it was because I knew it was vintage and it only cost about 71-cents from the GW outlet. 

I searched not just eBay but also the Internet for any information on this item and found only one other Reuge plush on eBay here listed for $99.  I discovered that the Reuge company makes musical boxes and clocks, some of their items selling well into the thousand dollars.  This particular toy plush has a musical mechanism inside and it seems that the tail is used to wind it.  Unfortunately it is broken so I am very happy for the sale.  This is also one of my sales from yesterday and I am still waiting for payment.  I sure do hope the buyer comes through.

Now that’s cash for trash!


One more thing I’d like to share with you before ending this post.  Remember this post about the recalled Easy Bake oven?

7679 (1)

I did a bit of thrifting with my daughter while in Texas, and she took me to a good size community thrift store.  One of the first things I spotted was this Easy Bake oven; paid $2 for it.  DD gave me a funny look when I grabbed it, but was thrilled when I told her about the $35 Hasbro gift card.  With four kids, she can definitely use it!  They are still out there, so keep your eyes open.

12 comments:

  1. Hrm... is there a way to bulk edit the return policy for all listings at once??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Selling Manager Pro and am able to bulk edit all my active listings. I don't know if this option is available to sellers who do not subscribe to this, but it sure makes it easy!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your daughter's graduation! The world need more (and better) teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine! With a family of four children, it's taken her a few years but she never lost her determination. Now that her kids are older, she is going full-steam ahead!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Those are amazing sales. So glad your sales bounced back so quickly. I also recently switched over to 30 day returns, and I've seen a bit of a bounce back in the right direction. I've also been listing like crazy, so that probably has something to do with it, too. Whatever it is, I'm glad to see your awesome sales and also my own starting to pick up the pace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, listing more does seem to make a difference. Am glad your sales are picking up!

      Delete
  4. wow which easy bakes are recalled? I passed up 3 this weekend. A couple could make for perfect christmas gifts for the kids LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the one pictured. Click on the link to my previous post; there's more info. I don't know if any of the others are recalled; will need to check on that. They are good until the end of the year, so yes they are perfect for Christmas!!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your vacay and Ebay sales since getting home! Where can I read more about Cassini requirements? I plan to turn off my store too when we go to Alaska in July. Will try to do what I can before I go. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to your daughter! I know you must be so proud. I recently put my store on vacation mode but left it visible. It had the "seller is away" banner. Every time I got a sale, I worried about how it would affect my defect rating. I need that 20% discount! Next time, I'm going to hide it like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats to your daughter!
    That mickey mouse table cloth is beautiful! What a great find and a great sale!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog! Great site and excellent Thrift Scores!

    ReplyDelete