I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Monday, May 5, 2014

Cash for Trash: April Sales

Another month and another dollar earned!  Sales have picked up a bit, although I haven’t been doing much listing.  Most of the items I listed were personal items, like my collection of vintage sewing machines.  DS#1 also asked me to list a few items for him.  Still have a ton of items from the GW outlet that I haven’t gotten around to listing.  I probably won’t get to them until after I return from visiting DD in Texas next week.  Really looking forward to seeing her and my grandkids!


Here are my top sales for April:

5724 (1)

Starbucks 2002 GERMANY City Mug Collector Series Berlin Wall Made by Rastal Rare – Paid $1.50 – Sold $24.99 F/S – Net Margin 60%

This Starbuck Germany mug was part of a lot of 16 Starbucks mugs I bought at a garage sale last year.  This is the last one and I had to reduce the price a couple of times.  It still took over a year to sell so I was glad to see it go. 

The buyer was from Texas; and he contacted me 2 days after I mailed the mug in a panic because tracking showed it had made its way to PA.  He was upset because the mug had not yet been delivered to him.  What?!  His message was a little snippy and he questioned whether I had mailed it to the right address.  Ignoring his tone, I responded professionally, assuring him I had mailed it correctly, but that I would look into it.  I couldn’t get any additional info from USPS, but I contacted the buyer anyway to let him know I had made the effort and asked him to give it a couple more days.  I also assured him I would continue to follow up and would keep in contact with him.  This seemed to satisfy him and his follow-up messages were much different.  The mug finally arrived in TX, even with a detour to PA.  In the end, I had a happy buyer who left positive FB.

My point of this little story is that it doesn’t take much to appease a nervous buyer.  Obviously, I have no control over a package once the carrier has it.  I could have replied with a snarky message, but I believe it’s always best to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.  He needed reassurance and I was there to help him.  That’s what customer service is about.

7847 (1)

BSA Official Boy Scouts Adult Medium Switchback Zip Off Uniform Pants Plus BELT – Paid $1 – Sold $34.99 F/S – Net Margin 69%

I always pick up scouting uniforms when I run across them, particularly Boy Scouts.  Found this one at the GW outlet and it went to a buyer in Georgia.  Be sure these are on your BOLO list.

7828 (1)

7831 (1)

Dr. Scholl's Leather Slip On Velcro Casual Walking Shoes Women's Size 8.5 – Paid $2.70 each – Sold $29.99 F/S Each – Net Margin 60%

I’m not a big shoe seller but I picked these up at the outlet for about $2.70 each pair.  They were in really nice condition and I thought Dr. Scholl’s would be a good seller.  These two pairs sold pretty quickly for $29.99 F/S each.  I was able to ship them in padded flat rate envelopes so that was a nice savings. 

7475 (1)

NERF Vortex Nitron Blaster with 20 Round Ammo Clip and Batteries – Paid $0.75 – Sold $35.08 – Net Margin 53%

This was a sale I made on Bonanza.  These NERF guns are really popular and I can always count on picking up one or two at the GW outlet.

I’ve actually had several sales on Bonanza this year, which is a nice surprise.  Last year, I think I had all of 3 sales.  You can now auto-synch your listings from eBay so you don’t run the risk of selling something that is no longer available.  The basic Bonanza plan doesn’t cost anything to list so I keep an active store there.  Even the occasional sale is better than nothing. 

7834 (2)

Yves Saint Laurent YSL Brown Leather Strappy T-Strap Platform Gladiator Heels 8 – Paid $2.70 – Sold $53.11 – Net Margin 71%

This pair of heels was another nice score from the GW outlet.  I bought them on the same day I bought the Dr. Scholl’s shoes.  That was a good day for shoes!  There used to be a time when I could wear heels like this, but that was a long time ago.  I’d probably break my neck if I tried wearing these now!  LOL!

7938 (1)

Singer Ultralock 14U34B Serger 3/4 with Operator's Guide MIJ

Here’s one of the sewing machines I sold on eBay.  It’s actually a serger, which I purchased about 15 years ago.  I think I used it a handful of times and then put it away.  I’m not even sure why I purchased it in the first place.  I finally pulled it out of the closet and cleaned the cobwebs off it.  Okay, there weren’t really any cobwebs, but I did clean it up.  Sold it to a buyer in South Dakota for $100 plus S/H.  It was a pain to pack, especially with DH helping me.  We each had our own idea on the best way to pack it; but somehow between the two of us, it got packed and shipped.  I just hope it arrived safe and sound.

I sold another vintage sewing machine with a wooden dome case.  Had to ship this one out in two boxes.  At least it was a non-working machine but it was still a pain to pack.  I’m selling off my collection of vintage sewing machines so I still have a few more to sell, but I’ll be listing those on Craigslist!

Spring weather is here, which is great for garage sales.  Hopefully you all have been finding some great stuff and your sales have been rockin’!  Until next time …

… that’s cash for trash!

10 comments:

  1. Enjoy your trip to Texas. You deserve it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Coming to Texas. Hope you get to have a great visit with grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LIsa! I had a great visit but it was way too short. Already missing them.

      Delete
  3. I've just started to list some shoes. Thank you for sharing some brands to keep an eye out for. Congrats on your great sales! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big shoe seller as I'm still trying to learn which brands and types of shoes sell best. My shoe BOLO list is still very short, but I'm happy to share what I do know. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  4. I never thought about picking up nerf guns. I always see them floating around the GW outlet as well! thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to pick up the bigger ones; they are better sellers. Smaller NERF guns sell, too, but in lots. Big thanks to Lorraine at We Are CLAMCO for the info!

      Delete
  5. Hi! Thanks for the tip on Dr. Scholls, I've had some success with Keen and Jordans but never know about dress shoes.
    I've been reading your blog for awhile and want to say thanks for all the great tips, especially the post on how to ship mugs.
    Ive started a blog too about my thrifting and would love for you to check it out http://beachthrifter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much of what I know I have learned from other bloggers so I am always glad to share any tips or info I have. Enjoyed reading your blog (and about those Taylor & Ng mugs!). Have added you to my blog roll and happy to have any blogging friend!

      Delete