I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Friday, April 18, 2014

Auction at the Long Beach Goodwill Outlet

Last chance (1)_thumb[7]

In my continuing search for inventory at great prices, a couple of weeks ago I convinced DH to go with me to the GW outlet in Long Beach.  I was hoping to purchase a gaylord of jeans and maybe some electronics.

20140405_083129_thumb[7]We were there on a Saturday morning just as it opened at 8:00 a.m.  I was disappointed that there were no gaylords of jeans.  There were plenty filled with miscellaneous housewares and mixed clothing, but nothing exciting.

It was a long drive and I knew DH would never want to return if we didn’t find something worth buying.  There weren’t many other folks so we were able to easily walk up and down the aisles and check the contents of each box.  20140405_083159_thumb[3]

I looked and looked and finally zeroed in on a box of electronics.  DH was skeptical, but he was a good sport and went along.  It wasn’t much of an “auction” as there was no one else bidding on the same box.  I ended up paying $70 for a gaylord filled with electronics that I had no way to know if everything worked.

Our purchase was delivered to where we waited under a tent.  DH got a bit more enthusiastic as we started going through it.  He was like a little boy going through a box of hidden treasures.  There were a few worthless items we left behind, but I think we ended up with enough good stuff to make a few hundred dollars.


20140418_143402

With everything I was buying at the outlet stores, I was running out of space in the house.  Okay, I was really tired of the clutter.  So, we purchased a couple of industrial racks; and the following weekend, DH reorganized the garage then set up the racks.  One rack holds our personal stuff, but the other rack has eBay inventory.

20140418_143342

This is an old fabric cutting table I bought about 20 years ago from a fabric store that was going out of business.  It was on the other side of the garage and just taking up space, buried under all those bins that are now on the new racks.  I originally just wanted to get rid of it, but now we’ll put it to good use as a testing-and-shipping area. 

The garage is still a work in progress, and DH is planning to put up some overhead storage racks to make more room for eBay inventory.  He’s a pretty cheap frugal guy, so he’s planning a DIY project, similar to this:

Above-garage-door-storage2

Our garage was pretty bad.  It looked like something you’d see on the Extreme Hoarders show; it was a combo storage unit/dump site.  We couldn’t even walk through it without injury, let alone park any vehicles.  Did I mention it is a 3-car garage?  One-third is used as a gym and another portion is used by DH for his window-blinds business.

But little by little we’ve been clearing it out; and I can only dream that someday it’ll look like this …

garaginize_ceiling_storage_garage_scenes

LOL … who am I kidding?!  

I’ll post more pictures as we continue with the project.

Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. So envious of your GW outlet. All we have around here are the regular (overpriced) GW stores. Whenever we go out of state on vacation, I look up outlets along our route. We'll be heading out again in June, and your post has me excited to plan and shop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find lots of great stuff! You just never know what you are going to find.

      Delete
  2. I suppose a gaylord is a large container? I never heard of GW auctions. I am glad you found something worthwhile. We have a GW outlet here in St. louis but I haven't gone in years. It is so easy to find inventory here that I have kearned to fight the urge to buy more than I can keep up with. Or else the house is a mess thanks for the fun tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a gaylord is a large industrial cardboard container. Buying one of those can keep you busy for a while!

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of GW auctions either. Sounds interesting. Nice job on the storage re-do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either but I know a lot of resellers go to these. I'm still testing the waters, not sure if auctions are right for me.

      Delete