I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Cash for Trash: February Sales

February flew by in the blink of an eye!  Sorry I was away for awhile but for good reason.  DH was felled – knocked down – bowled over – by the flu, which turned into pneumonia; and he spent a solid 2 weeks in bed.  Between playing nurse-maid and working on my eBay business, there wasn’t much time for anything else.  But he’s finally recovered enough to work, and things around here are getting back to “normal”.


In my previous post, I mentioned a few items that I bought from the GW Outlet store; and I am happy to report that some have sold (paid prices are average):

My net margin on the Sony Walkman and the Star Wars Costume was over 75%.  Love that ratio!  But the net margin on the 3D Star Wars Puzzle was only 32%.  It was missing a crucial part so it was “priced to sell”.  Glad I didn’t lose money but need to be more diligent with my purchases.


Here are a few more of my  outlet purchases sold in February:

7557 (1)

Radio Spirits: Legends of Radio - Best of Suspense (2003, CD Audio Book, CBS) – paid $0.85 – sold $28.02

This is one of those items that was left behind on a table.  All the CDs seemed to be in good condition so I took a chance on it.  Although I tested one disc, I certainly didn’t listen to the entire catalog.  Fortunately, the buyer from Ohio was happy with it and left me nice positive feedback. Net margin = 65%


7553 (1)

Sesame Street Animated Talking Laughing Elmo 14" Plush Stuffed 2010 – Paid $0.85 – Sold $39.99

The outlet store brings out quite a bit of plush, but these Elmo dolls always get left behind.  So far I have picked up 3, with this one being the first to sell.  This went to a buyer in Florida.  Net margin = 53%


7607 (1)

Pokemon: HeartGold Version (Nintendo DS, 2010) – Paid $0.81 – Sold $42.98

When those toy tables first come out, there is a frenzy of folks grabbing what they can (yes, sometimes me too).  However, I noticed that a lot of the folks go to the bottom of the toy table searching for those “little things”.  Some pick up loose Legos, although I can’t tell what others pick up.  I thought it’d be worth checking out the “crumbs” left behind and this is what I found.  I had no way of testing it, but I did emphasize my 100% guarantee in my listing.  So far, I haven’t heard from the buyer, who is from Pennsylvania.  Net margin = 74%


7596 (1)

Noritake Versatone Bleufleur Set of 3 Rimmed SOUP Bowls – Paid $1.80 – Sold $65

There were several pieces of this beautiful Noritake design left behind on a table; and unbelievably, they were in great condition with no chips.  These sold to another buyer in Ohio, who also left me positive feedback.  Net margin = 64%


7473_2

Nerf N-Strike Longstrike CS-6 BARREL EXTENSION Attachment – Paid $0.71 – SOLD 2 @ $32 = $64

7535 (2)

Nerf N-Strike Stampede ECS Fully Auto Battery Operated Blaster Dart Gun + Clip – Sold $0.71 – Sold $40.16

Prior to setting foot in the GW outlet, I knew very little about NERF guns, but I remembered reading a post about them by Lorraine @ We are Clamco, who picks them up for a quick flip.  So I’ve been grabbing all the ones I see at the outlet (for some reason, no one else bothers); and they have been great sellers for me.  Thank you, Lorraine!  The two attachments and the one gun cost about $2.13 and they sold for over $100!  Net margin = 56%

Now, that’s cash for trash!


In spite of all the great stuff I’ve been listing from the outlet, my sales have been really slow these past couple of months.  Actually, sales have been the lowest since 2011.  Not good at all; and I can’t figure out why. 

Last year my sales picked up when I started selling jeans.  But this year I’ve been listing a lot of the stuff from the outlet, and I’m thinking maybe it just doesn’t sell as fast as jeans.  I have about 50 pairs of jeans to list so maybe I’ll just get going with those, see if things pick up.  Hope your sales are doing much better!

15 comments:

  1. I love the comments you left on my blog. The big GW Outlets are crazy! The one in my town is slow on the weekdays so I can take my time. It's hard to find any glass items that are cracked or chipped because of the way they just shove them in the bins. I love the plates you got. Maybe sales will pick up in March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Lisa! I've never been to the outlet on the weekends, but it seems pretty busy during the weekdays. . I can't imagine how much crazier it can get on the weekends. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  2. Yay Nerf! I have that same extension piece and the gun that goes with it. Together they make a huge long gun. If I had the right box, I'd list them together. You got great prices on your Nerf. Awesome! Good to see a post from you. So sorry to hear your hubby was sick. Glad he's recovered, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lorraine! I got both the extension piece and the gun together; but when I brought it home, I realized the gun was missing parts and didn't really work. This was my first NERF purchase so what did I know. I figured I'd sell it for parts. As I researched more, I discovered it had a separate attachment that can sell separately for some pretty good money. I've gotten good at recognizing the colors and pick up any parts I find, like the 2nd extension piece. Love it!

      Delete
  3. I love reading about your profit margins. I'm trying to find cheaper inventory and raise some of my prices to increase my own profit margin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buy low and sell high ... that's the key! Can't beat those outlet store prices. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  4. Here is a site that talks about replacing missing puzzle pieces. It says Hasbro, maker of Puzz 3D puzzles will replace missing pieces.

    http://www.puzzlewarehouse.com/missing-pieces/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the info. The order form was actually included in the puzzle box and I mentioned this in my listing. I didn't want to incur the additional cost. I let the buyer take care of that. It was a quick flip and I was glad for the sale.

      Delete
  5. Going to our first outlets in Indianapolis this weekend(they have 3). It's 2 hours for us one way or we would have gone sooner. Hopefully we ca really stock up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a long drive, but it'll be worth it. Just can't beat the prices. Take advantage and stock up. I've seen some folks with 5 carts overflowing with stuff. Hope you have a nice big truck! Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  6. Yeah we keep hearing it's worth it so we'll see. I'd like to leave all 3 stores with 5+ carts haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't have an outlet by us in Chicago, but there is one in Indiana that's about 50 minutes away. I'd like to check it out sometime on a weekday.

    Margaret @ Live Like No One Else

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT SALES! I have been taking an outlet break since i had to move. I am going for the first time in a month tomorrow and i am SO EXCITED!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those Walkmans are leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I sold a very similar one to someone just the other day, $50 free shipping. The buyer told me that it didn't work and it looked like it was over 20 years old. I responded that it was that old, it was made in 1996. We're going through the paypal dispute now (I probably won't win), but I've learned to always make it very clear that it's an old item that's still new in its package. Most frustrating thing to me was that she wouldn't even contact Sony to see if they would work with her. If she did, I'd have at least given her a partial refund.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's the problem with the new-old-stock items that are still packaged. No way to test them to see if they still work. I always guarantee my items so I would have asked them to return it for a refund. Didn't she know she was buying a vintage item??? So far I've been fortunate and have not had problems.

      Delete