I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thrifty Thursday: Goodwill Outlet San Bernardino–Part II

20140121_133431

Wednesday, Day Two at the Goodwill Outlet!  Hot diggity! 

Now that I had my feet wet, I was ready to take the full plunge.  This time I went Wednesday morning and was expecting a larger crowd.  But, no, there was only a small crowd, although as the morning progressed more people showed up.

Wednesday was pretty much a repeat of Tuesday: wander the aisles sifting through the bins while waiting for the next round of fresh tables.  After 4 hours, I had filled up TWO shopping carts.  After sorting through the stuff, I was able to downsize to one VERY full cart.

20140122_141131

You will notice that my cart has a number – #72 – and there’s a very good reason for that.  All the carts look the same and it’s easy to confuse your cart with someone else's.   I “lost” my cart a couple of times and had to search by the #.  Of course, it doesn’t help if the guard moves it out of the way.

Oh, yes, they have guards.  Hmmm, maybe they’re expecting big unruly thrifters? If you touch something on the table before time, you will be reprimanded by the guard …LOL!  Serious!  Okay, he does it in a nice way and everyone just seems to be having a good time.

Anyway, once you get to the cashier, you roll your cart onto an in-ground scale.  You can see the digital scale weigh your items and the cashier then enters the price per pound. 

20140122_141141

This time around I paid $50.36 and ended up with 39 items.  I did pick up 4 clothing items and paid $1.49/lb. for these; this came out to $2 per item.  I think I can parlay this into almost $900 in gross sales! 

I’m disappointed the 69-cent sale is temporary.  Had I paid the $1.49 price, my total would have been over $90.  Why must all good things come to an end?  DH says it’s still not a bad deal so long as we can make money.  I suppose so, just need to be careful with heavier items.


After my first visit on Tuesday, I realized I had been to this location before.  About a year ago, I had a couple of hours to kill after dropping off DS#2 for an appointment.  A Google search told me there was a GW store at this location; but when I showed up, the store was empty and looked abandoned. 

Yesterday, the guard told me the store had been closed for a couple of years.  It’s only been re-opened for about 6 months.  This may explain why everything looked clean and may be why it’s not so crowded.  That will most likely change as more folks find out about it.

So far, my experience at the Goodwill Outlet in San Bernardino has been positive.  The place was clean and the staff seemed friendly enough.  I’m hoping this turns into a nice cash flow so I’m planning to get out there once or twice a month.  Be sure to come back for my next post where I’ll highlight some of the items I purchased. 

Happy thrifting and saling!

8 comments:

  1. Great prices at that sale! We have a GW outlet here, but I never go--too much bother to go thru all that junk and in an iffy neighborhood with iffy people all around. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it's not for everyone. I know neither one of my 2 thrifting BFFs will go, and for sure neither will DH. But it doesn't bother me at all - I get along with all those "iffy" people. :-)

      Delete
  2. WOW! Looks like you got a ton of stuff. Reading this has me itching to head off to the outlet by me! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what's in that cart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what we call "tonnage" ! Looks like you cleaned them out-Ha!

    Nice job....Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is one by where i work love going there

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone know if the San Bernardino Outlet Store
    8120 Palm Lane
    San Bernardino, CA 92402
    8AM – 6PM
    is up and running. I went there maybe 4 or 5 months ago and they were remodling. Is it stuff sold by the pound?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is THE Outlet Store on Palm Lane in San Bernardino ... as you can see, it is definitely up and running! All stuff is sold by the pound - clothing and shoes are $1.49 per pound --- and for now, non-clothing items are only $0.69 per pound. Great deal! If you get a chance, check it out!

      Delete