I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Selling on Craigslist … I’m lovin’ it!

Last year, I finally took the plunge and jumped into selling on Craigslist; and it was all thanks to this Kent Coffey dresser.  Read about it here.

4360

I sold 7 items last year on CL over a period of about 30 days (most of November).  Two items were my own personal items, and the rest were purchased for resale.  My investment was $85 and my sales total was $560!  Cash in hand, no shipping, no transporting!  No fees!!! All it took was a few minutes for each listing and a few text messages … and voila! 

Easy, peasy.  Sure, I had a few no-shows, but it was not a big problem. And, to my surprise, I actually enjoyed meeting the buyers and hearing their stories.


So, 2013 was going to be the year for CL selling!  Well, not quite … gee whiz, I guess you can’t sell it if you don’t list it.  I bought these 3 items during the summer but put them on the back burner.  Problem was these items were taking up space in my home and my garage.

Next thing I knew it was December and Christmas was just around the corner … and these items were still taking up space and I was really tired of looking at them.  With my eBay activity on a semi-vacation mode, I finally got them listed.

Toddler Oak Bed with Side Rails and Simmons Mattress

6925 (1)

First to go was this toddler bed that I bought at a garage sale in JANUARY. When the seller said $25, I thought I had a big score.  But a search on CL told me these don’t sell for much more than I paid.

So 11 months later, I list it with an asking price of $50, or BO.  Just come and take it, please!  Within a few days, I had a buyer who paid my full asking price. 

He was a young man on crutches who said he was buying the bed as a Christmas gift for his nephew.  When I asked what happened, he told me he had been injured in a serious car accident two years ago, while he drove home to Calif. from Texas where he had been stationed and was on Christmas leave. He’d already had multiple surgeries and needed one more to hopefully get off the crutches.

He’s telling me this story while DH and his friend are loading the bed into their van.  After they left, I thought about his story. He had served his country, was struggling with a serious injury, and was now taking care of his nephew. He is certainly an inspiration. I would have gladly given him the bed, but they were gone before I had a chance to reflect on this.


Kidkraft White Train Table & 2 Trundle Combo with Train Set

6663 (1)

I have to thank Dude @ Money In The Garage for this one.  If it weren’t for the great info he has on train tables, I probably would have passed this up.  DH and I found it at a garage sale on a gloomy day in July, with rain in the forecast.  Yard sales were few and we weren’t finding much.   We had only been out about an hour and were already thinking of calling it a day.  Instead, we hit just one more sale.  And there it was … the train table.  It was obvious that the husband was the negotiator and the money man.  I don’t remember what his original asking price was, but try as I might I could not get him below $25.  I’ll take it anyway!  Not only was it in good condition, it also included the train set PLUS the two drawers on casters.  DH loaded it on the truck and home we went … just in time before the rain showed up! 

At first I thought I would sell the train set separately; but after reading the posts from Dude @ Money In The Garage, I knew I’d be better off selling it all together.  I listed it for $150 with BO.  A couple of weeks went by with a couple of contacts, but no serious buyers.  FINALLY – 2 days before Christmas – I sold it for a best offer of $100  to the parents of a little girl who loved playing with the train set at the library and this was her Christmas gift.


Little Tikes Medieval Classic Castle Playhouse with Slide

6419 (4)

6419 (9)

After selling the last two items and clearing them out of my garage & home, I was really anxious to get rid of sell this castle.  We bought this in MARCH for $20 at a garage sale.  The problem was that we disassembled it to bring it home.  I gave up on ever getting it put together for pictures, so I took pictures of it as it sat in my garage, plus a “sample” picture.

I was surprised to see this castle sells for $400 brand new from Little Tikes.  Similar ones on CL were selling for between $100-$200, depending on condition.  Knowing my pictures were not the best and wanting a quick sale, I listed mine for $95.

I did not post this until Christmas Day, and sold it within 2 days to a young mom.  She said her little boy’s birthday was in 2 weeks and she was so excited to get this.

When she and her friend arrived, she quickly paid me and started loading the pieces into their van.  She didn’t look it over nor ask me any questions.  Good thing I had also printed up assembling instructions from the Internet, which showed that it originally had a blue door. 

Unfortunately, because we never assembled it, I never realized that it was missing two very important pieces: the blue door and a crucial piece for the look-out tower.  I felt so bad because I knew she had driven a long way (about an hour’s drive) and this was not what she expected.

In the end, we worked it out.  She said her son wanted a “Batman” cave so she said she could make a curtain for the door and she would make a shelf out of wood for the look-out tower.  So, she paid $50 and got the castle for her son at a great price.  I ended up with cash in my pocket and more space in my garage!


These items sold within 3 weeks, and I ended up with quick cash of $200.  I think selling them during the holidays was an advantage, plus I was an anxious seller who wanted a quick sale so my items were “priced to sell”.  Still, I made an extra $130.  Not only did I clean out my garage, but folks actually paid me to do it!  All from the comfort of my own home.  Gotta love it!

I think from now on I’ll post my CL items right away – before I get tired of seeing them and then pricing them “to sell”.  I now have a clean garage so that should motivate me to keep it clutter-free!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Your sales are awesome, especially those CL flips! With no fees and feedback baloney to worry about, your sales prove Craigslist is the way to go!

    Happy New Year...Dude!

    ReplyDelete