I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Selling on eBay: Shipping the FOMO Way

6175 (1)

In my previous Cash for Trash post last month, I mentioned selling this mug to a buyer in Florida for $21.99 with free expedited shipping. 

One reader sent me the following question:

How are you able to offer free expedited shipping on coffee mugs?  Don't they weigh too much for First Class Mail?  If you mail them Priority how much does it cost?  I did the math and I stopped selling mugs because I was losing money.  What is your secret to making money selling mugs?

Well … my secret is FOMO (“Freely Overcoming Mug Obstacles”)!  It would have cost about $9.88 using Priority Mail and $9.95 by Parcel Select to send this to the East Coast.  But, using a Flat Rate Padded Envelope, it cost me only $5.35.  This is such a big cost saver, that I thought I’d write a quick post on this.

IMG_5801

First, I wrap the mug in bubble wrap.

IMG_5802

Then I “wrap” it in cardboard.  I recycle box scraps or used priority boxes.

IMG_5803

Tape it all up, nice and secure.

IMG_5804

It fits nice and neat in a padded flat rate Priority envelope.

I have sent all my mugs this way and none have had any damage.  I’ve shipped other breakables this way, too, but I have yet to try sending dinnerware plates.  One industrious fellow had a box company make custom boxes to fit securely in the padded envelope.  Folks use the FOMO shipping method to send all kinds of stuff.  Not only does this save you and your buyers money, but also gives you an opportunity to expand your product line.

There is more information here and here, which includes a couple of videos.  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment