I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cash for Trash: September Winners

Do you ever have periods when you’re just not motivated to list or even deal with reselling?  When you’d rather be doing something else?  Well, for me it was September.  I was so not into eBay.

I love making cash from trash.  Lately, however, I have been running out of steam.  September found me spending more time with my hobbies, including quilting, and just taking some time off from selling.  Even so, I still had over 130 sales and was surprised when September was not my lowest month (that dubious honor goes to January).


Here are my September winners.  No biggies, but I am happy for the sales:

Northrop B-2 Stealth Bomber COFFEE MUG Grumman Aerospace Military Plane HIDES

6175 (1)

Award_-_Honorable_mentionI found this mug at the GW store and paid $0.99 for it.  I think this is a really neat mug because the cloud hiding the stealth bomber “disappears” with the warmth from the hot liquid.  Once the mug cools off, the cloud reappears.  It sold for $21.99 to a buyer in Florida.


Boy Scouts Centennial Convertible Zip Off Pants Shorts Youth 16

6507

3rd placeWhenever I run across Boy Scouts clothing, I will pick it up so long as it’s in decent condition.  My boys were in the scouts and the uniforms are not cheap, so parents look to eBay for used uniforms.  I picked these pants up at a garage sale for $0.75.  Sold for $24.99 to a buyer in Connecticut.


Lot of 6 CLARKS MERRICK JOHN CUTTER Sewing Thread Advertising Trade CARD 1800s

6526 (1)

second_place1Sometime last year, I bought a box of vintage wrapping paper at a church rummage sale.  I think I paid a couple of dollars for it.  I thought I would list the items individually on Etsy, but the thought of taking pictures of and listing each sheet of paper was a put off.  I finally decided to sell it as a lot, just to move it out.  I found these vintage trading cards in the mix and listed these separately.  They sold for $24.99 to a buyer in Arizona.

6530 (1)

BTW, I sold the lot of vintage wrapping paper in July for $42.10.  That totals up to $67.09 for both sales.  Not a bad return on a couple of dollars!


BUTTERICK PATTERN 6195 MISSES CIVIL WAR SOUTHERN BELLE GOWN GWTW BBQ DRESS 6-10

B6195_5418

first_place

I found this pattern at the SA store and paid a quarter for it.  I find that thrift stores don’t give much value to sewing patterns and price them under $1, and usually no more than $2.  I only buy patterns that are uncut and, for the most part, only pick up costumes and Vogue patterns.  The Civil war and medieval adult costumes are good sellers as are some Vogue designers.  This pattern sold for $27.95 to a buyer in Pennsylvania.


Clairol Set-A-Way Travel Hair Setter Hot Rollers Curlers Model KT-8 Dual Voltage

6623 (2)

542328_319661264785819_1383393686_n2

I’m always on the lookout for hair curlers, especially by Clariol.  I found this travel set in great condition at the GW store for $5.39.  Sold it to a buyer in New York for $42.00.

 


It’d be great if all my sales were in the high double digits or even in the 3 digits; but it’s these smaller sales that pay the bills.  I am grateful for each one!  Especially now that I have finally paid off my car!  Yahoo!  Thank you, eBay!

And it always surprises me how sales increase – seemingly overnight – once we hit October.  By mid-October, my sales had already reached the same amount that I sold in all of September.

That’s what I call Cash for Trash!

5 comments:

  1. You are awesome. Love your great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great flips! I do well with hot rollers, too, but my local GW has increased the price to $9 a set. I think I'm going to have to find mine at garage sales from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about your good deals and sales! I've sold 2 sets of hot rollers for $15.95 each...I need to keep on the look-out for one like yours! I agree about the little sales....they do add up! ~~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good haul! I was unmotivated recently too. I think I listed too much last month and now I'm tired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All excellent scores :) Man your posts inspire me to get hunting again, I'm taking a break but need to get back at it.

    ReplyDelete