I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Cash for Trash: August Winners … and Kudos to USPS

Hope everyone is doing well and still hanging in there with me!  Summer sales, as expected, were a little slow but better than last year.  Here are my highlights from August.


Honorable mention goes to these two items which I picked up for personal use. Well, at least, my intention was not to resell them; but when the time came to use them, I saw $ signs.  Suddenly, I didn’t need them anymore!

Lot of 35 Vintage Road Maps Travel Guides 1950s - 1990s Gas Oil AAA Collection

6040

Award_-_Honorable_mentionI found the vintage maps pictured above at an estate sale.  They were in a box in the garage, totally ignored by other buyers.  I added them to my pile with the intention of using them for crafts.  I paid for my items as a lot, but I estimate I paid no more than $1 for these maps.  They were stashed away for a few months until, one day, I did some research on eBay and discovered the maps would be good sellers.  Forget crafting!  I sold these for $29.99 to a buyer in Pennsylvania.  Net margin = 72%

Pampered Chef Heritage Collection Stoneware Baking Casserole Dish Lasagna Pan

6520 (1)

Award_-_Honorable_mention

I’d been wanting a Pampered Chef stoneware baking dish for quite awhile, so I was thrilled when I found this one at the GW store, sitting on the very bottom shelf, hiding behind other dishware.  It was in perfect like-new condition, and I paid a whopping $5.99 for it.  I fully intended to keep it for personal use, but I just continued using my old casseroles.  I finally decided there was no point in keeping it if I wasn’t going to use it.  It sold for $45.21 to a buyer in Indiana.  Net margin = 36%


Bloch Women's Tap Dance Shoes 8 1/2 8.5 Techno Tap #1T #3H NEW

6174 (1)

3rd place

I found these Bloch tap shoes at a yard sale way back in May.  The seller said they belonged to her daughter but she never used them.  They were in perfect condition.  I don’t run across many tap shoes, but when I do I will pick them up if they’re in good condition.  I couldn’t believe these were only $1!  They sold for $39.99 and went to a buyer in Virginia.  Net margin = 75%


Lot of 11 Fiesta Ware JAVA Coffee Mug 12 Ounces Large C Handle Made in USA NEW

6531

6532 (1)

second_place1

This is a nice lot of 11 Fiesta Ware mugs I found at a garage sale in June.  I think the seller originally wanted $1 each; but I bought several items so I was able to purchase these for 50-cents each. I listed them in two separate listings, and the two lots sold within days of each other.  This actually created a problem when I mistakenly switched two mugs.  Read about it in my post “When It Rains, It Pours”. Luckily everything turned out okay, and I received positive FB from both buyers.  These two lots sold for a total of $112.99 to buyers in Colorado and New York.  Net margin = 50%


Starbucks 2002 PARIS City Mug Collector Series Coffee Mug Made in England Rare

5723 (1)

first_place

I love selling Starbucks mugs!  This Paris mug was part of a lot of 16 mugs that I found at a garage sale in March.  The bunch was sitting on a table and I spotted them right away.  I think the reason no one was interested in the mugs was because they were FILTHY.  Yew, nasty, gross dirty!  I have to believe these had been used in a business setting, some place where no one bothers to wash coffee cups because the insides were stained brown. 

Luckily for me, I’d just read an article about how to remove stains from coffee mugs with a little hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.  I’d never tried this method but decided I would take a chance with these mugs. I could also see they were not chipped or cracked. Although I tried to get the seller to accept $1/mug, I ended up paying $20 for the lot.  Still, not a bad price.

The mugs cleaned up beautifully and looked almost new.  Of the 16 mugs, I kept 2 for myself and listed the other 14.  So far, 11 have sold and I’m sure the other 3 will sell eventually.  This Paris mug sold for $44.99 to a buyer in Iowa.  Total sales so far is $268.  When the last 3 sell, total sales will add up to about $354!  Not bad for a $20 investment.  Net margin = 56%


Vintage Antique Grandmother's Flower Garden Feedsack Quilt 72 x 88 Hand Quilted

6592 (1)

4ce2e704e99ba.image

Grand prize goes to this vintage feedsack quilt I found at the SA thrift store last year.  I wrote about my great find in this post.  It was practically a steal at $6!  I knew when I bought it that the quilt was worth over $100 and fully intended to list it either on eBay or Etsy.  It took me a year to finally get around to selling it.  I think part of me wanted to keep it but the other part of me didn’t really know how much to sell it for, so I procrastinated.  I ended up listing it in July for $250 plus shipping.  It sold within a month for a total sales price of $266.95.  It went to a buyer with a DPO (Diplomatic Post Office) military address, which I believe is to an overseas embassy.  My net margin on this item is 79%!

That’s what I call Cash for Trash!


Kudos TO THE US POST OFFICE FOR CARRIER PICK-UP SERVICE ON THE COLUMBUS DAY HOLIDAY

IMG_5488

I know this is not the best picture, but it is a photo of my mail carrier leaving my house after picking up 2 bins of mail this past Monday, Columbus Day Holiday.  I have great mail carriers!

On Saturday, my mail carrier left me a small note telling me that the post office will have a carrier on Monday picking up parcels and said I should have my packages ready by noon.  Really?!  No mention whether I had to call or go online.  I was beginning to have doubts on Sunday evening so I tried to request Monday service online, but the holiday was blocked out.  Hmm, which houses do they know to go to? 

Well, my packages were ready by 11:00 a.m. on Monday so I put them out for pick up.  I figured if the mail carrier didn’t come, they would go out on Tuesday anyway.  Twelve o’clock came and went – no mail carrier.  UPS came by to drop off a package, and I’m sure he thought I was confused putting my packages out for pickup by USPS.  One o’clock came by and still no pickup.  I wonder if I was supposed to call.  Finally, just before 2 p.m., I see the little mail truck stop at my house.  I see the mail carrier (not my regular) quickly get my 2 bins and then jump back in the truck ready for his next pickup – but not before I took this picture!

Ruby, my mail carrier, tells me USPS is going through some changes right now (which you may have read about).  USPS is trying to change its focus to concentrate more on parcels and competing with UPS and FedEx, etc.  There is still some talk about whether or not they will discontinue mail delivery on Saturdays, EXCEPT for packages. I also heard USPS is doing Sunday deliveries for Amazon packages. 

Regardless of whatever growing pains USPS is going through, I was impressed they picked up my packages on a holiday!  That means my buyers would not have to wait an extra day to get their items, and that’s always a good thing!

6 comments:

  1. I have to learn a thing or two about quilts. Thanks also for the coffee mug cleaning tip.

    P.S. I've been missing your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sales! Thanks for sharing! I'll be keeping my eye out for maps now. That's an easy item to sell and ship. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Frank! Miss your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great flips! That quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading about all of your scores! It's nice to know what to keep on the lookout for! Thanks! ~~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man you aare really good at this! I just started eBaying from garage sales and this is really inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete