I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cash for Trash: July Winners

Wow, two posts in one week!  I think I’m on a roll … LOL.  Here are my highlights for July.
6190 (1)
Award_-_Honorable_mention
I bought several large pieces of this Franciscan Apple design at a garage sale for only $1 each.  This was a newer piece made in Portugal, but some of the vintage pieces in this design made in the USA can sell for some good money.  It sold for $38.49 and went to a buyer in Florida.  Net margin = 51%
6457 (1)
Illustration of a fourth place ribbon
I originally bought this at the GW for our own personal use.  It was reasonably priced at $5 and in nice clean condition so I brought it home.  It sat on the counter for awhile, and I never bothered to learn how to use it.  Then one day I ran across this post from Frank over at Fruzies blog.  It was the exact same espresso maker in black; and he’d sold it for $49!  Hmmm, this machine may not be making any coffee, but it may make me a nice chunk of change.  It sold within 3 weeks for $49 to a buyer in Indiana.  Thanks, Frank! Net margin = 40%
6194 (1)
Illustration of a third place ribbon
I bought this incomplete dinnerware set of 20 pieces at the GW for $12.99.  These pieces were made in England and are just beautiful.  They were also brown transferware, which is collectible.  I listed the 6 dinner plates at $12 each (plus shipping) in one listing.  Four plates sold right away to a buyer in New Hampshire for a total of $64.90.  The last 2 plates also sold recently to a buyer in Oklahoma who paid a total of $35.74. Total paid for all 6 dinner plates is $100.94.  Net margin = 58%
6521 (1)
second_place1
If you haven’t already, be sure to add Griswold cast iron on your BOLO list.  I purchased this at an estate sale.  I purchased both this 10” skillet and an Emeril Lagasse skillet for $18.  I knew the lidded Griswold skillet would fetch a good price, but wasn’t so sure about Emeril’s.  Turns out that used Emeril skillets don’t fetch much more than $10-$15, so I kept it for personal use.  The Griswold skillet with lid sold for a total of $80.95 to a buyer in Alabama.  Net margin = 60%
6519 (1)
first_place
I purchased this Christmas village building early this year for only $2.39 at the SA half-price sale.  It was Dept 56 and I knew it would be a good seller; but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to keep it or sell it.  I finally decided to list it when I saw how much $$ this could fetch.  I listed it in July – the middle of summer – thinking it would sit in my store for a couple of months.  It sold within 6 days for a total of $85.42 to a buyer in Pennsylvania.  Christmas sells year round, even in the summer!  Net margin = 68%
6537 (1)
4ce2e704e99ba.image
This is another DH find from a garage sale.  This tool set was brand new, never used, and we paid $10 for it.  We weren’t sure how much it would re-sell for but DH decided to take a chance.  Of course, I’m thinking $100-plus; but the original price was $79, although I think it’s no longer available in stores.  I put it up for action with a starting price of $75 plus shipping.  It ended up selling for a total of $96.00 to a buyer in Illinois. Net margin = 75%
Now that’s cash for trash!

6 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and that is amazing how you are able to make a good profit. I have a few things that I could sell and my husband has some older toys. He doesn't have any luck at toy shows. How do you sell on eBay? I've checked into it, but I don't understand it. Sounds too complicated between auction pricing and set prices. Could you possibly explain it in simplier terms? :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a haul! yay! on the resale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about volume selling-nice job on those scores. You're hitting home runs on almost everything!
    I've seen that coffee maker thing occasionally at GW too....gonna have to buy it next time.

    Awesome flips, I am jealous!...... Dude! @ http://www.moneyinthegarage.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great info...especially about the Krups espresso maker :). We have also had some nice Meakin sales this past year, and I will be adding the skillet info to my list.

    Thanks for the mention and for the helpful information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowsers! Those are great profits. I posted a few recent sales on my blog yesterday http://craycrayforebay.blogspot.com/2013/09/money-monday.html

    I just read your other post on margins, and now I'm going to go back and figure that out for those items :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finds!

    Lisa @ happy girl thrift

    ReplyDelete