I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Friday, December 28, 2012

Cash for Trash: Last One for 2012

Hope everyone had a wonderful, fun-filled Christmas with family and friends!  We had a nice small, quiet celebration with our two sons.  We are grateful for our blessings and pray for those who are less fortunate, in particular for the lives that were lost in Connecticut and their families.  May they be remembered in our prayers and never forgotten.newtown-ct


I was actually looking forward to a quiet December; but it’s been pretty busy as far as online sales go.  I was shipping items out as late as the Friday before Christmas for Monday delivery. I think this has been the busiest November-December I’ve ever had. 

foc-bonanza

What really surprised me was the number of sales from Bonanza. Since it costs nothing to list (just a sales fee), I have all my eBay listings posted on Bonanza.  Then, pretty much forget about them; and every blue moon, I will make a sale.  From January to August of this year, I made 5 sales – nothing to crow about.  But since Thanksgiving, I have made 11 sales!  Not sure what’s going on, but I’m not complaining.  I just hope it continues into the new year.


5085 (1)

CHRISTMAS SWEATER Christopher Banks Embroidered Beads Sequins Appliques LG NEW – pd $2.50 @ sa - sold $38.99

In a previous post last month, I mentioned that sales for ugly Christmas sweaters seemed slow and was worried that I was going to get stuck with the bunch.  Not to worry! They started flying off the shelves right after Thanksgiving; and except for two, I sold ALL my inventory of Christmas sweaters.


Here are my best sellers from the past few weeks:

4027

Lenox 2003 FLORENTINE SPIRE CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT MIB – pd $3.99 @ gw – sold $45.12

4217 (1)

SPODE CHRISTMAS TREE SET OF 4 NAPKIN RINGS IN ORIGINAL BOX – pd $3.59 @ sa – sold $55

4643 (1)

DR DOC MARTENS 8783 PLATFORM PENNY LOAFERS UK 5 US 7 EU 38 BLACK NWOT NEW – pd $1 @ gs – sold $40

4389 (1)

CHICO'S Jacquard Sheen Soukie Jacket Women's Size 3 LG NWT NEW – pd $5.39 @ gw – sold $49.99


5139 (1)

Walking Dinosaur Animated w Sound Playskool Kota Pals Monty T-Rex Hasbro VIDEO – pd $5.19 @ sa – sold $46.04

I found this dinosaur at the SA and walked around with it while I decided whether or not to buy it.  He was in great condition so I bought it.  I was really happy when I put batteries in it and it worked!  I decided to make a mini-video to post in my listing and was able to sell him pretty quickly.


5247 (1)

CAFEWARE Culinary Arts Porcelain Coupe Soup Bowl Smooth All White Discontinued – pd $4.98 @ GW – sold $62.06

For some reason, the bowls in my house have been disappearing so I originally bought these bowls at the GW for our personal use.  They were really nice so I thought I’d just take a quick look to see if they were worth anything.  Holy cow, was I surprised!  The same buyer bought all 3 bowls and paid over $60 for the lot.  As for bowls for us … well, I ended up getting bowls at the Dollar Store!


5236 (1)

DOLCE & GABBANA Cravatte Le Cirque Circus Clowns Tiger Pin Up Girl Men's Silk Tie – pd $0.20 – sold $45

This past August my BFF Viv and I stumbled upon the best garage sale!  There were tons of great stuff and the seller had everything priced to sell.  This was quality brand-name stuff and folks were going crazy.  We got there about 10 a.m. so I can’t imagine what great stuff had already sold.  For $4, I picked up a brand new vintage pastry toaster that I sold for $75; and I also picked up a lot of 50 ties for $10 – that’s $0.20 per tie!  This Dolce & Gabbana tie was in the bunch and it sold for $45!


5073 (2)

TAYLOR & LORD CASHMERE TAN PULLOVER SWEATER TURTLENECK LONG SLEEVE MEN'S XL – pd $5.99 @ GW – sold $35

5148 (1)

Barney's New York Men's Black 100% Cashmere LS Crewneck Sweater XL – pd $5.99 – sold $40

5150 (1)

Mens KIRKLAND SIGNATURE Gray Shawl Collar Cardigan CASHMERE Sweater Size XL – pd $5.39 @ gw – sold $114.45

I try to limit my purchases at GW to items that are on sale, which means I’m passing up some good stuff. So I’ve been picking up cashmere sweaters even when they’re not on sale. Check out this Kirkland cashmere sweater that I picked up for $5.39 and resold for over $100!

Now that’s CASH for TRASH!

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful sales! Congratulations! You are so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice sales!!! December was super slow for me...until today. New years Eve and I'm packing and shipping like crazy.

    Go figure.

    Happy new year!

    T in IL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing what you sell. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring. Congratulations, and good luck to you next year!

    ReplyDelete

  5. Thanks so much for sharing. I keep forgetting to check the sweaters in the men's section. I always pick up ties and that one is amazing. Thanks for reminding me to check for cashmere!

    Love your posts!

    Margaret @ Live Like No One Else

    ReplyDelete