I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Cash for Trash Wednesday

happy_halloween25

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!  Hope everyone is having a fun-filled and safe day!


Sometimes I wonder if anyone is really interested in reading about my sales, since most of them are pretty average and not everything I sell brings in mega bucks (boo hoo) … and, then, I’ll get a comment like the one below from Tracy:

Not a week after I read this post, I stumble on to a Mervyn's mission - Santa Barbara in a thrift store. Had I not read your post, I would not have thought twice about it. Scooped it up for 5 dollars! The mission you sold is my home town - Santa Ynez!
Small world! Thanks for the tip and love your blog!!!

Thank you, Tracy! Her comment reminded me why we love to read about great flips.  It’s not so much about “bragging” (ok, maybe a little Winking smile), but rather it’s about educating and sharing information so we can all be successful.  I have learned so much from your blogs and am so grateful to you for sharing!  Thank you!


So, here are my best flips for the month of October:

5060 (4)

HALLOWEEN CHRISTMAS HUGE BLACK GNARLY BARE BRANCH TWIG 24" WIRE TREE Dept 56? – paid $2.50 @ SA – sold $37.96

One day in September, I walked into my local SA and found they had put out their Halloween stuff.  This tree caught my eye because it was 2 feet tall and very sturdy; and because It was 30% off entire store, I paid about $2.50 for it.  I originally intended to keep it, but I realized it might be a good seller when I saw a very similar, but smaller, Dept. 56 tree sell for $60! 

This tree was unbranded, and I wasn’t sure it was Dept. 56 so I put it up for auction at $19.99.  I rarely use BIN, but in this case I did since Halloween was around the corner.  I probably could have listed it for more but I wanted to sell it quickly so it was priced to sell.  It sold within 4 days!


5058 (1)

Vintage Primitive White Enamel Black Trim Wash Basin 13" x 17" Oval – paid $1 @ GS – sold $34.88

Last April, I bought a lot of 5 pieces of vintage enamelware at a garage sale for $1 apiece.  This was one of those purchases that, when you get home, you ask yourself, “Why did I buy this?”  The lot included 2 basins, 2 kettles and a ladle.  The kettles and ladle were in fair condition, and I was not inspired to list them.  So they sat around for a few months until I got tired of looking at them.  I did some research and was surprised that the large basin might be a good seller.  Inspiration hit me and I listed the pieces.  So far the large basin is the only one that has sold, but I’ve already recouped my $5. Now, if only the other pieces sell, then I can put another $40+ in my pocket!


Here are a couple of great clothing flips I had last month:

4960

CAbi Women's Navy Dark Blue Panel A-line Stretch Jersey Long Skirt Size M – paid $1 @ SA – sold $41.99

CAbi is always a good seller and I pick up most anything I find from this brand – so long as it is in good condition.  It’s always a sure sale.

4915 (1)

L PURE CASHMERE Beige Fringe Scarf Scotland Dawson Forte Cashmere aka Ballantyne – paid $1 @ GS – Sold $54.94

This was a great find because I found it in a pile – mountain – of clothes that were thrown on the ground.  This garage sale was a fundraiser for a Girl Scout troop, and they had so much stuff that it took up two front yards.  They had TONS of clothes and there were TONS of folks going through the piles.  At one point, I saw a woman picking through a pile of beautiful scarves and kicking myself for missing it.  Still, I positioned myself next to her to see what she would leave behind.  Well, she took all the other scarves but left behind this particular one. 

I’d never sold anything cashmere so I wasn’t sure how well this scarf would sell, but for $1 it came home with me.  I was thrilled when it sold for $50 plus shipping.  Ka-ching! 

Speaking of cashmere, after reading these posts from Suzanne The eBay Coach, I’ve started looking for cashmere sweaters and will buy them, even if they’re not on sale.  Even damaged cashmere sweaters can sell on eBay! 

Now that’s CASH for TRASH!


Although it’s supposed to be the busy selling season, my sales have been so-so.  Of course, that could be due to any number of reasons, including the fact that I’m not listing as much as I should – or that I’m not finding the great product I’d like to find.  With the end of the year, I am rethinking my purchasing strategy for next year.  But that’s fodder for another post!

Hope you all have been doing great with tons of sales!

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE reading your blog and reading your flips...even the small ones. Love that Halloween tree. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't stop blogging. I check you blog every day for new stuff. Because of your blog I check skirts every time I am thrifting. One day I will find a kilt. But I would have never known how well they sell if it wasn't for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't stop blogging. I check you blog every day for new stuff. Because of your blog I check skirts every time I am thrifting. One day I will find a kilt. But I would have never known how well they sell if it wasn't for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need help in knowing what sells, even if it's just something average. Those $10-15 profits add up! All your information is helpful and I take it with me when I'm out hunting. It gives me an eye for something I may have previously overlooked, like what happened with Tracy. I look forward to all your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading what you sell. I have never sold on Ebay, but I like to see what others are able to sell. I hope you don't stop those posting, they are very interesting and I always see something I never dreamed would sell. You do such a great job and really enjoy reading your blog. Who knows maybe one day I might get the courage to start.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love your blog and keep open my BOLO list when I read it. Don't stop.

    By the way, we recently began selling cashmere items and have done very well with them.

    Since we are in South Florida, we don't get a ton of it but pick up everything we find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rita,

    I don't think you realize how much people enjoy reading your blog. I know I certainly do. I check back often for updates because I look forward to seeing what you've sold and gain some knowledge in the process. Thanks so much for your awesome Blog!!

    Tracy From Illinois :)

    ReplyDelete