I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cash for Trash: Ugly Christmas Sweaters 2012

3889

4721 (1)

5084 (1)

5076 (1)

5083 (1)

4556 (1)

Where did the year go?  Hard to believe that Christmas is just around the corner … and so are the Ugly Christmas Sweaters!

I  had not heard of Ugly Christmas Sweaters until last year; but once I did, I quickly jumped on the bandwagon.  I didn’t start listing them until September; and by mid-December had sold most of them – about $1,000 in sales.  Ka-ching!

This year, I decided to sell sweaters year-round, and sales have averaged between 3-7 a month.  So far, I’ve sold more than 60, with over $1400 in sales.  But it seems to me that sales of these Ugly Christmas Sweaters have been a little slow, given that we’re already in November.  Oh, well, I hope sales will increase after Thanksgiving.

I can usually pick them up for about $2-$3 each, and average resale price is about $25, with some selling for over $30-$35.  Lately, however, I’ve noticed that GW has been selling their Christmas/holiday sweaters for $14.99 – instead of their regular sweater price of $5.99.  Looks like they’ve decided to jump on the Ugly Christmas Sweater bandwagon, too. 

So my new strategy is to look for cashmere sweaters instead, like this one that I currently have at auction:

5150 (1)

Mens KIRKLAND SIGNATURE Gray Shawl Collar Cardigan CASHMERE Sweater Size XL

I started the bid at $24.99; and so far it has 3 bids with 20 watchers.  A similar one sold last month for over $150!

Now that’s Cash for Trash!

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing how your cashmere sweater does in the end. I've usually done our with a BIN price. Interested in seeing the auction response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Illinois, the Goodwill is selling Christmas sweaters for $19.99. Crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved these boots for Halloween. Tried to wear them a couple times after...not for Halloween and they started to fall apart after the 3rd time wearing them.
    Leg Avenue Women's Anna Boot
    For the price, you get a pretty decent product but it does fall apart quickly. Overall they are great for one time wear and look great, but I wouldn't try wearing these for more than a couple of times. http://legavenuewomensannaboot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, thanks for your Xmas sweater posts from last year. I was able to sell 10 of them this year at around an average of $30 a sweater. :)

    ReplyDelete