I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Monday, September 10, 2012

Fabulous Find: Kent Coffey Dresser

DSC01962

I’ve been toying with the idea of upcycling old furniture, in particular dressers.  I’ve seen some great transformations that some elbow grease and paint can do. 

So, a couple months ago, I saw this great dresser as I walked into the SA.  It was obviously vintage mid-century modern (MCM) and a solid piece of furniture in great condition.  It was marked Kent Coffey – a brand I was not familiar with at the time.  At $35 it was priced right so it came home with me.

_MG_2824_large

Kent Coffey Perspecta Series Credenza / Dresser ($695 OBO)

I discovered this dresser can sell for between $500-$700 in mint or refurbished condition, like the one above.  Score!  My dresser has some surface wear and minor dings, but in solid condition.  So I’ve decided to list it as-is on CL for $250.  A great return on my $35 investment!


The Kent-Coffey Manufacturing Company was started in 1907 by Harold Coffey in Lenoir, North Carolina. He was friend, neighbor and competitor of such icons as James Broyhill and John Bernhardt, the early leaders in establishing the North Carolina furniture industry in the early 1900s.

The Kent-Coffey collections of the 1950s and 1960s were solidly built and priced so the average consumer could afford them, resulting in their being very popular. The brand is experiencing a new surge of interest, as young MCM aficionados are beginning to become familiar with the name and add Kent-Coffey pieces to their growing collections.

Court records indicate that the Singer Company furniture division acquired the company in 1983. But around 1997, the Singer furniture division went bankrupt.


Well, I’m certainly looking forward to fall weather.  The weather is cooler but still in the 90s where I live.  Great weather for garage/yard sales, but this past Saturday the pickings were pretty slim.  There’s always next weekend!

Happy thrifting and saling!

2 comments:

  1. That is an amazing piece! Love it!

    Lindsey
    http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great piece! It's too bad that times change and things become "out of style." We get rid of what we have and buy new only to find out years later that what we once had is now valuable and desirable and most likely better made than the new stuff.

    ReplyDelete