I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Friday, June 29, 2012

Thrifty Treasures Roundup

I ventured out today to hit a few thrift stores since I’m hoping to expand my non-clothing inventory.

My first stop was a small church thrift store near my house.  It’s a hit or miss, but their prices are reasonable.  Today was 50% off on clothing and I picked up a few shirts and sweaters for less than $2 each.  I also found this Disney Lizzie McGuire cookie jar for $4 to add to my collection.

DSC01735

In the afternoon, I had to pick up DS#2 from his job at Disneyland. It’s about a 40-minute drive from my home so I thought I’d take advantage and hit a few GWs in the area.

They had some great stuff, but – holy moly! – their prices were high!  Clothing was especially pricey: dresses were priced at $8.99, pants/slacks were $6.99, blouses & shirts were $5.99. I went to three GWs and ended up with just a few items – no clothing. 

DSC01730

This cheese dome with tray was $3.49.  It had a purple tag so it was 1/2 price from $6.99.

DSC01734

I love USA pottery!  This vintage dish was $2.49 – also 1/2 price from $4.99.

DSC01739

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen mugs and glasses priced at $0.99 at thrift stores.  But that was the price for these two Grateful Dead glasses.  These are headed for my eBay store.

DSC01736

DSC01737

I’ve seen these jewelry boxes for $7.99 up to $14.99 at other GWs so I was surprised at the $3.99 price for this one.  I’d like to try my hand at upcycling it, like the ones I’ve seen on Etsy:

45.00_green

sold for $45 on Etsy

70.00

Sold for $70 on Etsy

80.00_pink

sold for $80 on Etsy

80.00_sold

sold for $80 on Etsy

Happy thrifting and reselling!


I am linking this post to:

SouthernHospThriftyTreasures-copy_thumb1 apronthrift
The Thrifty Groove

8 comments:

  1. I never thought about upcycling stuff to sell on etsy. It is a good idea though. I am like you, I usually stick to clothing. It's my niche, and I know a lot about clothing. Plus, it's sooooooo easy to ship. I hate shipping big things. But this idea of upcycling a jewelry box sounds like fun to do! Take care! I am a new follower of your great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By upcycling do you mean refurbishing or simply reselling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were some nice finds. I am staying away from garage sales and thrift stores. No room at the INN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank, Upcycling is about the same as recycling. But rather than just reuse it, you refurbish it (or upgrade it) into something nicer. Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW you have great stuff so glad I found your site!

    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you add me to your blog list? I'd love to connect with more thrifters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clothing is my thing. Just checked out your store! Great stuff!

    Help support a growing fashion business: http://peerbackers.com/projects/qf-clothings-growth-helps-mom-stay-home-with-baby/

    http://stores.ebay.com/QFClothing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Silent reader here missing your blog posts. Hope everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete