I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Thrifty Treasures Roundup

There hasn’t been a plethora of yard sales the past couple of Saturdays; and the few that I’ve gone to have been disappointing.  But I did make it to the biggest rummage sale in Corona a few weeks ago.

MF_Resource_list-425x318

I look forward to this annual rummage sale because they have tons of stuff. 

579476_10150947649357300_663604550_n

It’s a church fundraiser so their prices tend to be a little higher than garage sale prices.  But on the last day, they start dropping their prices about an hour before they close up at noon.

601870_10150947649732300_1649652274_n

I went on Friday about 2 hours after opening and their parking lot was already full.  They have tents for different areas, like women’s clothes, men’s clothes, children’s clothes, knickknacks, furniture, electronics, books, etc. 

I bought several clothing items that Friday paying between $1.25 and $2.00 for each.  And, I also bought the items pictured below:

DSC01169 DSC01166

2 smiley mugs for $1DSC01173

vintage enesco ornament for $1

DSC01185 DSC01189

vintage angel tree top with lights for $1

DSC01212

pyrex autumn harvest casserole for $3

DSC01480
DSC01489

13 McDonald’s Flintstones and Batman glass mugs for $3.50

While I was there on Friday, I overhead one of the sales clerks tell someone that they would be selling everything at 1/2 off starting about 11:00 a.m. on Saturday.  Of course, you know I was there!
 
Saturday morning I went to a few yard sales with my BFF Viv and called it a day just before 11:00 a.m.  After our goodbyes, I SPED RUSHED to the rummage sale, thinking I’d have about an hour to shop.  I didn’t realize they closed at noon and I had just a few minutes to shop.  By then, they were practically giving things away.  I was able to fill up 3 bagsful of clothing and paid $5 per bag!  I paid about $0.50 per item and I’m still working on listing them on eBay.

 
As I mentioned, my BFF Viv and I went to yard sales a few weekends ago and were very disappointed.  I did find these two cute plush animals at one and paid only $0.50 for each.  I also found a set of three living room tables for $30.  I think this was a great score cuz now I have matching tables!

DSC01194

DSC01199


Remember this blue Remington hot roller set that I sold for $41.84 last month?

4500 (1)

Well, I found two more Remington hot roller sets this past Saturday at the Savers Thrift Store.  Paid $4.99 each.
 
DSC01408
DSC01426

These are great because they are the wax-core rollers that pageant moms look for.  This particular model is hard to find online so eBay is the place to find them.

But the model that sells for the most is the Remington Tight Curls:

$(KGrHqN,!rME-Y0)MeW5BP3R-Vgjkw~~60_58

A new one could sell for as much as $75 on eBay!  If you want to know more about hot curlers, go to this link by The eBay Selling Coach.  Vintage electric hot rollers and those with wax-core rollers are the best. 

There’s a really easy way to know if rollers have a wax core.  Plug them in until they are hot.  Take a roller out and shake it.  If you hear a liquid sound, then it’s a wax-core roller.  The liquid sound you hear is the melted wax. Wax core rollers hold the heat longer, making the curl stronger and long-lasting, which is why pageant moms love them.


Linking up to the following parties.  Be sure to check them out for more great thrifty treasures!

Thrift Share Monday @ Apron Thrift Girl

Thrifty Treasures @ Southern Hospitality

High on Thrifting Thursday @ The Haps

Thrifty Things Friday @ The Thrifty Groove

4 comments:

  1. Great finds. It's funny when I read you were in corona it brought back memories. I lived there once upon a time. Haven't thought about it in years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wondered why hot rollers were such good sellers. I never realized that pageant moms are buying them. Love the smiley face mugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm such a fan of covered casseroles, mid-century pyrex in particular. Great finds! I just found you through The Thrifty Groove. I'm your newest follower and a fellow newbie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun thrift finds and congrats on finding more hot rollers to sell! Thanks for sharing at TTF and have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete