I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cash for Trash Wednesday

With taxes in April and DS#1 graduating in May, I didn’t spend much time eBay-ing or blogging.  Ah, but things are getting back to normal and I’m trying to get back into my routine.

I’ve been listing like crazy and my sales are finally picking up.  Over the past two weeks, I listed over 140 items – both auction and fixed price – and so far have made over 65 sales. 

Here are some of my top sellers:

4405B

JEANETTE SHELL PINK MILK GLASS 4 PLACE HOSTESS SET 8 PCS IN ORIG BOX VINTAGE – paid $1 from GS – sold $60.27

4500 (1)

Remington Hot Rollers Tight Curlers H-10801 Pageant Prom 300 Watts (20) Wax Core – paid $4 from GW – sold $41.84

4425

Lot of 45 Vintage Little Golden Books Disney Sesame Street Christmas & More – paid $9 from gw – sold $52.54

When I first bought this bundle of 45 LGBs, my intention was to sell them individually.  But when I realized most of them would not sell for very much, I put them aside, still debating about what to do.  Then I received a comment from Amy @ One Frugal Momma, who told me she sells LGBs, usually in lots of 45, at $1/book. It was a lot less work to list these as a lot and I still made 5 times what I paid!  Thank you, Amy!

4393

Asian Round Tabletop Curio Shelf with Drawers Teak Wood? Rosewood? – paid $1 from GS – Originally sold $41.62

When I first bought this, my intention was to paint it a bright POP color and sell it on Etsy.  But once I carefully looked at it, I realized it was actually very nice and decided to list it on eBay.  I was surprised that it sold for $31 plus shipping!

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find an adequate box.  In my hurry to meet that 1-day handling turnaround, I just wrapped it with cardboard and bubble wrap, then mailed it in a polymer mailer.  Even before I dropped it off at the P.O., I knew it was a bad idea.

Yup, it was damaged in transit.  The buyer suggested I knock off $20 from the price and he would try to glue it.  Even so, I still made money on this, but I should have known better … at least I didn’t have to refund any shipping costs.

4441 (1)

VINTAGE E. & H. T. ANTHONY & CO. PRINTING FRAME PAT# AUG. 12,1888 7" X 9" – paid $0.98 from Sa – sold $22.10

Not a top seller but an interesting find.  A few months ago, I was at the SA where I spotted a bin with a sign that said $1 each ... and it was calling my name!  The bin was filled with frames, so I bought this one and another one with a vintage bird print by Arthur Singer.  I was not planning to sell either one, until I realized this one was a vintage printing frame.  You just never know what you can find at a thrift store!  Like this next item …

4482 (1)

Llewellyn Bakelite Small Black Tubular Purse Handbag w/ Two Handles Vintage 50s – Paid $3 from SA – sold $52.59

I found this little gem on a shelf hidden among toys and knickknacks.  I thought it was a cute box and didn’t realize it was a vintage purse until I got it home.  Some of these vintage box purses are highly desirable and the more elaborate ones can sell for a lot of money.  The buyer hasn’t yet paid so I hope it’s not going to be a problem …

4398

CHICOS ADDITIONS Women's 3-Pc Lime Green Zip Vest Crop Pants Sleeveless Top LG 3 – paid $1 from GS – sold $38.49

4403

FLAX Jeanne Engelhart Women's Purple 3-PC Rayon Outfit with Tunic Pants Top Sz LG – paid $1 from GS – sold $28.33

I bought these two 3-piece outfits at the same garage sale where I bought the milk glass hostess set (pictured above).  The lady was selling everything for $1 and under; and it was not junk.  My kind of sale!  I probably could have priced these higher with a fixed price, but I prefer to sell them quickly and have money in my pocket.

4190

MOTHERHOOD Maternity Pastel Paisley Bohemian Boho Mod Retro Maxi Dress Sz SM – paid $3 from Sa – sold $30.99

This dress received a lot of interest with multiple watchers and bidders.  Unfortunately, the buyer said it didn’t fit and is returning the item. No problem for me since her refund does not include shipping and I know I can resell it.  But it never ceases to surprise me that some buyers just don’t read the listings.  It takes a lot of my time to measure and then list the measurements … they can at least take the time to read them.  Oh, well, I’m glad it rarely happens.

So that’s it for now.  Hope your sales have been hopping!

Now that’s CASH for TRASH

11 comments:

  1. Great finds and great sales! I wish my GW had such nice items. Lots of mugs and VHS tapes is all I ever see there. That curio shelf is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when I get emails stating it didn't fit. That is why I put measurements!! But I always smile and let them return it, and refund their purchase price. Never shipping. Great sales. I love the purse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always so inspiring! I especially loved your post about the kilts...want to find some, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im glad you're back. I love reading your
    Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - Not an hour went by after I posted re: your kilts... and DD came in and asked me if I had ever heard of Burning Man...so I got to tell HER all about your kilt story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I keep looking for more kilts but so far no luck ... I can only hope that I'll hit paydirt again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're making me crazy on the hot curlers! I see them often at GW and can't decide which ones to buy and which ones to pass on! Nice job!

    Dude@MoneyintheGarage.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, your kilt story is one I've told many times and one of my all-time favorites! Glad you are back - enjoy reading and seeing what's selling for you! My sales are picking up, too - and I've been offering free shipping for items I can ship first class mail - seems to be an incentive for buyers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those remington curlers! Hey, I changed my blog url and name from Savvy Saver if you want to update your sidebar. Thanks! :) Love your blog. http://treasurehuntingmommy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blog! Hopefully someone will write about the new ebay policy regarding 14 day returns. I sold a pair of jeans for 69 bucks with $5 in shipping. If I do a partial return (return $69 for the jeans, do not return the shipping) Ebay keeps 100% of fees! AAAGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! I need to revamp my return policy to cover not only the initial shipping but the ebay fees I'll be out. Interested in your thoughts on this, or "dude's" thoughts. This seems so unfair!!!

    Thanks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete