I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Friday, March 16, 2012

Thrifty Finds of the Week … and Cash for Trash Update

DSC09983

Except for the occasional rainy day (like tomorrow), we have garage/yard sales pretty much year-round in Southern California.  I wish I could get out there every weekend!

Last Saturday, though, my BFF Viv and I hit the yardies and had a great time.  The weather was beautiful and there were a ton of sales.  We met up at 6:30 am and by 10:30 am, we were ready to call it a day.  “Just one more,” we said, even though I was down to my last $21 and Viv was down to her last few dollars.    We spotted this play kitchen and I knew it was mine when I saw it was only $20.  How we got it into my small Honda Civic is beyond me, but somehow we managed.  I’m planning to resell it on CL for $60-$80.

DSC00006

You would think that would have been the end of our saling adventure, but no, sir.  I’d spotted these dressy BEBE sandals for $5 at the same yard sale.  They were in great condition in their original box, and were originally $137.  So we counted our dollars and pennies and came up with the $5 for the shoes.  I plan to list these on eBay for $35.

I also bought a ton of clothes for $1-$2 each to resell on eBay.  I used to ignore clothing that was piled on the driveway or yard, assuming it wasn’t worth much.  I discovered that’s not always the case, and I have found some great brand-name items just “thrown” on the ground.  Unbelievable!  Anyway, Viv and I found some great stuff and we can’t wait for our next saling adventure.


DSC00163

Even though heavy rain is expected this weekend, DH and I are going up to Paramount Ranch tomorrow, an old western ghost town.  So no garage sales for me tomorrow, but there were a few today.  I had 5 on my list and 3 of them were a bust.  I found a few things at the 4th one, like this Star Wars Monopoly game for $1, but not much else worth writing about.  I decided to skip the 5th one and head on over to a small church thrift store.

DSC00164

This is a very small thrift store and much of their stuff is either outdated or in pretty worn condition.  But they have great prices; and if you really look, you may find something worthwhile.  Today, all their clothing was 1/2 off, so I picked up a few things – like this OSSI skiwear jumpsuit for $4 and Obemeyer ski pants for $2.  I should be able to resell them for about $20-$25 each.  I also found two long denim skirts by Ralph Lauren for $1.75 each; these should be good sellers.


Sales were pretty good in January and February, but March is turning out to be a S-L-O-W month.  I’ve been reading your blogs and I guess I’m not the only one with slow sales.  So I’m taking this time to do as much listing as I can to take advantage of eBay’s promotional free auctions.

Here are some of my best sales from January:

 3342

BETSY & ADAM by Jaslene Women's Black Full Length Velvet Evening Dress Sz 16 NEW – sold $28.45 – paid $2 @ sa

4037

NORTH RIVER OUTFITTERS Men's Shirt Santa Claus Beach Vacation & Flamingos Sz XL – sold $27.45 – paid $2.50 @ gw

4094

INC Women's Black & White Long Sleeve Lined Dress with Tatted Lace Trim Size 8 – sold $28.48 – paid $0.90 @ GS

I bought this INC dress plus a few Dressbarn dresses in a stack of clothes that I bought for $10 at a garage sale.  These were all in a pile of clothes sitting on the driveway.   I paid about $0.90 for each dress!

3788

Rasta Imposta Lightweight Hot Dog Adult Costume One Size Fits Most – sold $19.99 – paid $0.50 @ GS

What about this funky hot dog costume?  Bought it at a garage sale for $0.50. I figured I could let it sit in my store for a few months and maybe it’d sell for Halloween.  I was surprised it sold within 4 days for $20!  You just never know…

These next two items may not be high sellers, but they are truly “cash for trash”.

4096

Maisto 1998 Hummer H2 SUV Hardtop Black 1:18 Metal Diecast Model Car – sold $29.94

DS#2 had this model car for years.  Who knows how long it’d been in his closet gathering dust?  It was slated for the thrift store but then I decided to list it at auction.  Am so glad I did!

1055

WW1 GERMAN BERTHA GUN EMPLACEMENT CHATEAU-THIERRY VINTAGE PHOTO – sold $8.95

Sometime end of last year, DS#2 and I went to an estate sale, where he bought an old bible for his collection.  Not too long ago, I decided to look at it.  As I flipped through the pages, this photo fell out.  I knew it was an original picture, but it was creased and I wasn’t sure if it was worth anything.  I almost threw it away; am glad I didn’t!  It went to a buyer in France.  Not only did DS#2 recoup the cost of the bible, but also made a couple dollars to boot! 

Now that’s CASH FOR TRASH!


The “sold” prices I am showing are the “total sales” paid by the buyer.  I’ve been offering many items with free shipping and have concluded that the total price paid by the buyer is the one that counts, making it easier for me to analyze my income and expenses.

I’ve got lots more to share with you so I hope you all come back!

Believe in yourself and prosper!

Happy saling and selling!

No comments:

Post a Comment