I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cash for Trash: Ugly Christmas Sweaters

DSC07374

Sales have picked up a little as buyers scramble for last-minute holiday gifts and items.  Ugly or not, sweaters continue to fly off the shelves.

I first read about the “Ugly Christmas Sweater” phenomena in January, so I bought holiday sweaters all year long.  I then realized that any “ugly” sweater would also qualify as well as holiday sweatshirts and turtlenecks.

I think I’d collected about 20+/- when I started listing them in September.  I was thrilled – and a little surprised – when they started selling.  To date, I have sold about 40 sweaters.  Not all are ugly, but I will usually list them as “ugly Christmas sweaters”.

Here are my top selling “uglies”:

3737 3742
3736 3733
3591 3719
3614 3615

3593

3727

These may or may not be the ugliest, but they were the highest sellers, selling between $25 to $40 each.  I paid about $30 for the lot, and they sold for a total of $291.27.  Sweaters are not usually part of the $2 Rag Day sales, so I have to wait for the 50%-off sale and pay little more than $2. Still, 10 times my investment is not bad.

When I started buying these sweaters, I wasn’t sure how well they would sell – after all, some were ugly!  But I am definitely SOLD!  Total amount of sales for all sweaters is almost $800!!  Now that’s cash for trash!

Janessa @ Savvy Saver Secrets has a couple of great posts on her “uglies”.  Read them here and here.  She’s got a great blog about her bargain shopping adventures and her great sales.

Believe in yourself and prosper!

Happy thrifting and selling!

3 comments:

  1. My GW had an exceptionally ugly Halloween one, but I didn't know how other holiday sweaters did, so I didn't buy it. I'm glad to see yours sold. I'll pick up Halloween ones too from now on. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! :) Would you believe I've sold some of your same sweaters?! Ha Ha I wish I had more because I've sold all of mine now. Can't wait to start buying them again for next year. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen anymore in the thrift stores recently. Guess folks have been buying them up. But I'll bet they'll start showing up next month - and I'll be ready!

    ReplyDelete