I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cash for Trash: November Sales

3864

SOREL Youth Snow Ranger TP Boots Little Boys Sz 11 NEW – sold $29.99 – paid $5

November sales have been a little lackluster.  After the summer slump, sales really picked up in August, and I really looked forward to the “great” November sales.  But November turned out to be one of my slower months … bah hum bug! 

When this happens, I always wonder if there was something I could have done to improve sales.  Should I have listed more items?  Perhaps it’s my product line?  Maybe I should have listed more non-clothing items?  But it seems I am not the only one with slow sales.

I’m thinking that it’s just the busy-ness of November.  I know I’ve been busier than usual with family and such, and haven’t done much listing or thrift-shopping.  I also think people were holding off shopping, just waiting for the Black Friday sales – which means they were not shopping online.   I know Cyber Monday was great, but I think – with few exceptions – folks were mostly buying new items.  Whatever the reason, my sales did slow down in November.

Not to say I didn’t have a few good sales.  My “ugly sweaters” continue to sell and I did sell a few NIB toys.  Here are my top sellers for November:

3864

SOREL Youth Snow Ranger TP Boots Little Boys Sz 11 NEW – sold $29.99 – paid $5

3863

SOREL Youth Snow Ranger TP Boots Little Boys Sz 9 – sold $21.79 – paid $2.70

These little boots are always good sellers.  I have sold 3 pairs and none for less than $20.

3826

BURBERRY Black Label Boy's Orange Nylon Windbreaker Jacket Size XL – sold $28 – paid $2

3899

JACQUELINE FERRAR Women's Classic Black Leather Straight Skirt Sz 24W NEW – sold $27.52 – paid $2

3940

SUNDANCE Catalog Cotton White Denim Jacket Women's Size Medium – sold $24.99 – paid $2

I didn’t recognize the brand name when I bought this jacket.  I had no idea Sundance was Robert Redford’s clothing line, although in hindsight I should have figure it out!

3624

LAUNDRY by Shelli Segal Women's Black Velour Long Sleeve Sheath Evening Dress 4 – sold $24.95 – paid $2

3918

NEWPORT NEWS Easy Style Women's Black Lined Leather Pants Plus Sz 22W – sold $22.50 – paid $1

3721

UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATER Robinsons Red Sweater with Cute Dalmatians Sz M – sold $22 – paid $1.68

3733

TIARA INT'L CHRISTMAS COLLECTION Fun Snowman Bright Green Hot Pink Sweater M – sold $20.99 – paid $2

3830

NORTH FACE EXTREME GEAR Boys' Red & Black Nylon Winter Jacket Size M – sold $20.50 – paid $3

Boy, did I mess up on this jacket!  I though I had scored when I bought this “North Face” jacket.  I quickly listed it, thinking it would sell for some good $$, so I was a little disappointed it sold for only $20.50.  But surely the buyer would be thrilled with their purchase, right?  Wrong!  I soon received one of those dreaded “Item Not As Described” messages.  Turns out the jacket is not a “North Face”.  I confirmed this by enlarging my picture … and sure nuff!  In clear black letters, it says “North Sport”.  After handling this jacket through the whole process, I cannot believe I missed this!  Of course, I told the buyer I would give him a 100% refund including shipping, once I receive the item … am stilling waiting for it.

3846

Harry Potter Professor Snape Potions Class Edible Activity Set 2001 DISCONTINUED – sold $24.95 – paid $4

I found this Harry Potter set at the SAVERS discount store.  Since it’s sealed, I didn’t open it to test it.  I suspect the buyer bought it as a Christmas gift so I hope it works!  And doesn’t come back to bite my in the behind …

3852

Star Wars Characters Creepy Crawlers Mold Maker Oven NEW NIB – sold $22.95 – paid $3

I found the Star Wars oven in the clearance shelves at Big Lots.  Actually, I found 5 and they were priced at $7, discounted from $20.  When the cashier rang it up, the price was $3 so I bought all they had.  So far, I’ve only sold the one …Sad smile

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday with family and friends … and I also hope you’ve had some great sales!

Believe in yourself and prosper!

Happy saling and selling!

7 comments:

  1. I think a lot of eBay sales are down because eBay is flooded with merchandise from all the free listings they've done recently. The more there is in the marketplace, the more buyers have to choose from. I enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous: Absolutely! That thought had also crossed my mind. Gee whiz! If everyone was listing 1000 (!) items at auction, then how is anyone going to find my listing. It's really overkill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiii! Thanks for dropping by our lil piece of blog land I love your finds! I mean Im sorry but the boots please I would so wear those.lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blog. I'm suprised you would not just issue a refund to the buyer of the jacket instead of incurring additional cost on shipping via return. I would have called it a day and let them keep it given that it was the sellers mistake. My November sales were horrid and December isn't going any better so far. I agree, Ebay is flooded with the free listings so everyone is listing whatever they have. Makes it tough on the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous: Thanks for the visit! You know, 99 times outta 100 I do just refund the money and let the buyer keep the item. Usually the item is damaged and I can't resell anyway. But in this case, I can resell the jacket. Without a return, my loss/refund would be $29.45. However, if I can resell it for same price, I would only be out the return shipping - about $8 - vs. $29.45. Even if I sell it for a little less, since it's not North Face, my loss would still be less than if I just let the buyer keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My November sales were super slow too! Hoping December is much better! Love your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the explanation on why you didn't let the buyer keep it. That makes more sense to me now. Thanks for the rundown! :)

    ReplyDelete