I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Best Things I’ve Sold on eBay #22: DREAMSICLES Cherubs – And How Their Creator Ended Up In Prison!

989

DREAMSICLES THANKSGIVING BE THANKFUL FIGURINE 2000

Starting Bid: N/A Winning Bid: $11.50
Paid: $0.99 From: Goodwill
Ended: 9/21/08 Winner: Avon, OH

The Dreamsicles collection of adorable cherubs was created by Kristin Hayes and was produced by Cast Art Industries.  In 2001, the collection celebrated its 10th anniversary, but it is no longer in production. 

1303

Dreamsicles Nativity Assortment Ret Figurines DX489 MIB

Starting Bid: N/A Winning Bid: $52.00
Paid: $9.99 From: Goodwill
Ended: 1/21/09 Winner: Independence, MO

This exact same Nativity set sold last week for $174.95!  Wow!  It’s all about supply-and-demand.

1236

DREAMSICLES FIGURINE NATURE'S BOUNTY CALENDAR COLLECTION 1993

Starting Bid: N/A Winning Bid: $8.99
Paid: $1.78 From: Sal Army
Ended: 7/23/09 Winner: Eau Claire, WI

1043

DREAMSICLES ANGEL SNOWMAN & FRIENDS FIGURINE 1993

Starting Bid: N/A Winning Bid: $9.99
Paid: $1.99 From: Goodwill
Ended: 7/23/09 Winner: Eau Claire, WI

Artist Kristin Hayes was raised in Utah; and, after graduating from the University of Utah with a degree in art, she turned her talents to sculpture.  About 1991, she began creating a group of cherubs, bunnies, and other characters now known as Dreamsicles. They were an instant hit, and demand became so great that Kristin could no longer make the reproductions on her own. So, she turned to Cast Art Industries for assistance, and that's how the Dreamsicles collection was born.

1761

DREAMSICLES FIGURINE NEWBORN CHERUB 1994 RETIRED

Starting Bid: N/A Winning Bid: $6.99
Paid: $1.77 From: Sal Army
Ended: 7/30/09 Winner: Tiffin, OH

098

DREAMSICLES NATIVITY COLLECTION LIGHTED BETHLEHEM INN

Starting Bid: N/A Winning Bid: $69.99
Paid: $5.99 From: Goodwill
Ended: 10/5/09 Winner: Holstein, IA

After 10 years of producing Dreamsicles, Cast Art Industries merged with Papel Giftware in 2003 and ceased producing the Dreamsicles collection. The merged company eventually failed due to financial fraud by Papel Giftware prior to the merge.  So, Cast Art filed a lawsuit against the auditing company for negligence; and last year, won a verdict of $31.8 million.

As for Kristin Hayes, the artist and creator, she is now in Federal Prison for tax evasion.  In November of last year, a federal judge sentenced her (and her husband) to 2 years, plus ordered her to pay more than $800,000 in penalties, fines, and interest.  You can read the story here.

Every once in a while, I will run across a Dreamsicles figurine, but I stopped buying them because they aren’t good sellers.  However, keep an eye out for certain larger or limited-edition pieces that can sell for $100 and some sets can even go for $900.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I never even heard of these, what a story! And you did good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do see these now and again, usually in the $2 range.
    If I consistently found buyers willing to give me $10 each I could be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what happened to the dreamsicles. I bought one for our wedding cake and it broke. I wanted to replace it but I know now why I can't find it. I am trying to find here's my hand 1999.

    ReplyDelete