I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Monday, October 31, 2011

What’s So Special About THIS SA Thrift Store?

2011-10-10 14.33.55

Like many eBay sellers, I’ll sell whatever I think will bring in a few bucks: books, magazines, knick-knacks, toys, games, dinnerware, cookware, etc., etc.  But it wasn’t until I started reselling clothes that my sales – and profits – took off (thank you, My Dear Trash). 

Reselling clothes, however, would not work out for me if I didn’t have the right source at the right price for my inventory.  Wouldn’t it be great to have a one-stop source where you can pick up most of your inventory for the week?  Well, I have found just that place!  It’s the Salvation Army Thrift Store in Perris, CA.

2011-10-10 14.34.30

Believe it or not, there is a thrift store behind all those trees!  You can see from these pictures that this store is not located in a busy shopping strip but is actually located next to the railroad tracks in nowhere-land.  It’s about a 40-45 minute drive, through the back roads to get there (or take the freeway for a longer drive).

2011-10-10 14.33.27

Daily Auctions 7:00 AM

This is actually a Salvation Army complex that includes not only a rehabilitation center and warehouse but also vehicle and merchandise auctions.  Donated vehicles are auctioned off at this location.  I also see folks loading BINS & BINS of stuff onto their trucks.  So I suspect this location receives overstock from the area stores; and what doesn’t sell in the store gets auctioned off here.  Something I REALLY need to look into!

2011-10-10 13.59.56

Of course, they also have the “family store” – and it’s huge!  The picture above shows just a small section of the store.

2011-10-10 14.03.20

An entire wall of dresses for $2 each!  There are also racks and racks of women’s pants/slacks/jeans, blouses, sweaters, skirts and jackets, etc.  Oh, and more racks of men’s shirts, slacks/jeans, sweaters, etc., although not as many as the women’s section.  There’s also a wall of shoes; and the other half of the store includes sections for dishes, knick-knacks, furniture, lamps, etc.

2011-10-10 14.05.17

Every Monday is “Rag Day”, although what’s on sale varies.  ALL dresses and blouses are always on sale for $2.  Two-piece outfits are $5.  Usually sweaters and skirts are on sale for $2, but not always.  Slacks/pants are always on sale, usually for $1 each; but sometimes 2 for $1.  Men’s shirts and slacks are usually $2.  A couple times they had $2-Days where ALL clothing was $2; and a few times they had all jackets/coats for $3!

Since all the clothes are on sale, there’s a greater selection.  I can easily spend 4-5 hours in the store.  Sometimes I get tired before I get to all the racks.  I usually walk out with 30-60 items a week, depending on the selection.  And I’m not the only one: I see many of the same faces every Monday, and most of them are filling cartloads with clothes to resell.

On this same day, they also have their books on sale: 10 for $1.  So, you also have booksellers with cartloads of books.  I don’t usually get to the books because I run out of time and energy, but on occasion I have bought a few books.  At 10-cents a book, you just can’t go wrong!

They also have everything at 40% off on Tuesdays; and on Thursdays, children’s clothes are 50% off.  Plus they have 50% off everything on the 1st and 3rd Friday/Saturday of the month.

So there you have it – my “secret” source for clothing.  With one-stop, one-day convenience, this has become my main source for clothes.  Of course, garage/yard sales are always the best way to pick up inventory at great prices!

Believe in yourself and prosper!

Happy saling and selling!

2 comments:

  1. so are all clothes around $2.00 each every monday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. do they have 50% off every fri/sat?

    ReplyDelete