I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cash for Trash Wednesday

Thank you all for your great comments on my last post.  I appreciate them all because they keep me motivated.  I also love visiting your blogs and reading about your great finds and sales.  I’ve learned so much about online selling from bloggers everywhere and thank you all for sharing!

So, things have been flying off the shelves, and it’s going to be another good month!  Here are a few highlights of my best sales from the past three weeks:

DSC07535CU

Leapster Leapfrog Educational GAME - 7 Cartridges – sold $47.83 – paid $1.00

A few weeks ago, I bought this game console with cartridges at a garage sale.  I had no clue what I was buying, but at $1 for the lot I couldn’t go wrong.  As it turns out, the console was broken; but after a quick search on eBay, I discovered the games are good sellers.  I had 7 games and listed them with a starting price of $0.99.  I clearly stated they were untested and offered a full refund if a game didn’t work.  Well, they all sold and none have been returned!  The 2 Disney ones were the best sellers, selling at $10.50 each.

3615

PHUN SHIRTS Women's Cream Sweater Beautifully Embellished with Pearls Sz S NEW – sold $29.95 – paid $2.00

3742

UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATER Santa & Reindeer New York Cityscape VW Bugs 1995 Sz M – sold $26.00 – paid $3.00

I am amazed at how fast sweaters are flying off the shelves!  I have been buying sweaters since the beginning of the year and saving them to get on the “Ugly Christmas Sweater” bandwagon.  I think I had about 50 sweaters and listed them the beginning of this month.  I have already sold 23!  I’m pricing them from $8 for the turtleneck shirts up to $28-$30 for the sweaters, depending on their condition and design. 

3647B

ALFANI Women's Graphic Print Mock Wrap Career Jersey Dress Plus Sz 3X – sold $35 – paid $3.60

I bought this dress at GW at 50% off.  Ever since they raised their prices, I don’t shop as much at GW but you can still find some good deals, like this Alfani dress.  This was a plus-size wrap dress so I knew it would be a good seller.

3551

SHEEP MAP OF GREAT BRITAIN THEA GOUVERNEUR CS KIT – sold $69.99 – paid $2.35

I’m still reaping the benefits of my one visit to the SA.  This cross stitch kit was purchased at the same time I bought the Eva Rosenstand kits.  On that day, I spent $122 and so far have grossed over $1300! 

35943595

ALPACALINDA Peru Alpaca Fur Plush 9" & 11” Teddy Bears Stuffed Animals with Tag – sold $52.49 – paid $1.50

Seriously, you just can’t beat garage sales for product sourcing!  These 2 little guys are made from real fur and I paid only $0.75 each.  They sold for a total of $52.49 to the same buyer!  How’s that for a great profit margin!

P1050490

3489-90-91

Sakura China Debbie Mumm CHRISTMAS TOPIARY Dinner Plates (3) – sold $30 – paid $0.75

Here’s another great garage sale find! I paid $5 for this 20-piece Debbie Mumm stoneware set.  So far, I’ve only sold these 3 plates, but I’ve already made 6 times what I paid for the set. 

BOLO TIP: Dinnerware is a fantastic product to sell because it has a great profit margin.  The secret is in selling the pieces individually.  In the set above, each piece cost me only a quarter, and I broke the set up into 13 separate listings: 3 dinner plates (1 was broken); 4 salad plates; 4 cup/saucer sets; and 2 lots of salad bowls.  If each listing sells for $10, I will gross $130 from my $5 investment.  Ka-ching!  You just have to find the right design at the right price.


Someone left a comment wondering about the SA store I shop at and lamented that their SA store basically sells junk.  So, my next post is going to be about my SA store because it really is not your typical thrift store!

2011-10-10 13.59.56


Oh, and that vintage Casio calculator that I bought for $1?  It ended up selling for …

3699I

Casio FX-98 Solar Cell Scientific Calculator 42 Functions Vintage 1984 Rare

$267.84!!

Believe in yourself and prosper! Happy saling and selling!


Linking up to the following blogs. Be sure to check them out for more great thrifty treasures!

 Thrifty Thursday @ Bloggervitaville

Club G.W. Party @ Charm Bracelet Diva

6 comments:

  1. All I can say is WOW! You really have an eye for the expensive trash! Congrats on your ongoing ebay success. And thanks for linking up over at my Club G.W. {Goodwill} with Charm Bracelet Diva party!

    xoxo
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, Girl! Great flips! I may be motivated to post more of my stuff on Ebay now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Love it when I see you have a new post! Congrats on all the great finds! Just wondering, how do you ship the plush animals? Do you box them up? I have just a few to list but not sure what the best way to ship them would be.
    I'm hoping to be able to start listing heavily when I get back from a trip at the beginning of November. I just have to see if my baby will give me some time to get stuff done. Hope I don't miss out on the buying rush that's going on right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You totally rock. I can't believe that calculator. Way to go. I feel the buzz! Your energy is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer B, I ship my stuffed animals in polymailers, which you can get from shipping supply online stores, such as Uline. Plush animals are great sellers for me. I mark them up high and give buyers the option to make a Best Offer. People are willing to spend more on stuffed animals, esp if they're trying to replace a favorite lost one for their child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You for the info.
    I never thought about mailing plush in a polymailers. I have always used boxes.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete