I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thrifty Treasures Thursday

DSC07360

It’s been a long time since I’ve been to an estate sale, but this morning DS#2 and I ventured out to one in a nearby community.  Don’t know how I managed to get him to come along, but I was happy for his company.

We got to the sale about 10:00 a.m. so everything was pretty much picked over.  But we managed to find a few things, like the vintage Polaroid camera pictured above.  It not only had its case but also had an unfinished pack of film.  And, it’s in great working condition. Too bad I couldn’t find any more packs of film.

DSC07355

These metal kitchen canisters appear to be vintage.  They’re in pretty decent condition, although one of them has a minor dent and a couple of scratches.

DSC07361

I also found a boxful of vintage maps circa 1960s-1970s from across the country.  Most of them are from gasoline companies so there is that collectible connection.  I read somewhere that vintage city maps are valued for their historical data.  Even so, they don’t seem to sell for really big bucks so am not sure if I’ll resell them or use them for crafting. 

DSC07352

The lady who used to live there was an artist and there were tons of her paintings for sale.  I can only imagine how many there were when the sale first started.  She also had a ton of frames for her paintings.  I picked up this oval frame for a special project I have in mind.  Her paintings were reasonably priced but none of them really “spoke” to me.

DSC07353

These are two credit-card size Casio calculators.  I picked them up because I’ve read that vintage calculators are collectible.  By the time I found these, I was pretty much ready to leave so I just grabbed them without even checking to see if they work.  Really, how much could they cost?

We found a few other knick-knacks; so between the two of us, DS#2 and I had a small pile of stuff.  Nothing was priced, and the folks running the sale took a quick inventory before charging me $15 for the lot.  Not the greatest bargain, which is why I’m not a big fan of estate sales.  You really do have to be first in line to get the best stuff.  But even so, I think I can make a nice profit …

…especially when I discovered that the two little credit-size Casio scientific calculators may be VERY hard to find and very collectible.  I read that one sold in March for $485!!  I’ll definitely be listing these very soon, so we shall see how well they sell.


Linking up to Thrifty Thursday @ Bloggervitaville and Thrifty Things Friday @ The Thrifty Groove.  Be sure to check them out for more great thrifty treasures!

1 comment:

  1. Some very nice finds. I'm going to keep my eye out for the calculators. I would have totally ignored them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete