I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cash for Trash: Cross Stitch Kits Net Over $600

3538

Eva Rosenstand Clara Waever PORK Cross Stitch KIT 1979 – Paid $2.35 – sold $270.00

Remember the men’s kilts I bought for $2 each that netted over $1,000?  Or the Reyn Spooner Disney Pixar shirt that sold for over $155?  Well, these cross stitch kits were just as much a surprise!

3538B

A couple weeks ago I was at the SA for my weekly Rag Day adventure.  On these days, I don’t normally browse the rest of the store because items are not on sale.  But on this particular day, I decided to quickly look around to see what else I could find. 

I found a stack of cross stitch kits; and knowing that needlecraft kits can be good sellers, I grabbed all of them.  I was unfamiliar with the brand name and had no idea of their worth, but at $2.35 each I knew I could make a profit.

There wasn’t much information on eBay on this particular designer, but the few items I found sold for about $50-$60.  I had six vintage kits by Clara Weaver and listed them between $9.99 and $24.99.  Imagine my surprise when I checked my listings a couple hours before ending and saw that one kit was up to $182!  I couldn’t believe my eyes; I was so excited that I almost hyperventilated!

The listings ended yesterday; and when all was said and done, the six kits together sold for a total of $629.87!  Two sold for $270 and $177.50.  The rest sold between $29 and $58.77.  It’s interesting to note that 5 kits sold to buyers from Japan who paid the most for the kits. The 6th kit sold to a buyer from Canada.  Not bad for an investment of $14.10!

Now THAT’S REALLY CASH FOR TRASH! Hope your sales are going strong now that the summer slump seems to be over.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! That is amazing! I will be adding cross stitch patterns to my list to be on the lookout for. It certainly seems that international bidders are willing to bid higher. Kudos for such a great cash for trash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've known that the cross stitch kits sell well, but WOW! What a find! I really need to list international! I always accommodate if a potential buyer asks, but I really need to list international!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I talk to people about Ebay, I always mention the kilt story. That was the best ever! This info on cross stitch kits is great. I would normally never think of buying something like that for resale. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great find! I sell cross stitch items (from my own collections, never find much elsewhere) but have never had the luck of selling Eva Rosenstad. I hope people realize that not all kits sell that high or even close to that. Eva kits will do well but that is really the only designer that I can think of that will net such a high price (you must have had some rare ones too since I don't remember ever seeing any go for that much before). The average cross stitch kit will sell for about $15 which will still get you a profit. Some take quite a long time to sell too but Eva kits are highly collected and will definitely sell on their first posting as long as the opening bid is fair.

    I've had a lot of luck selling kits to Russia. They re-sell them there so they are only interested in new, sealed packaging. My highest sales have been to there (nothing like yours, but I was still happy with it).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I was impressed with my quick sale of a "no count cross stitch" kit. But your Eva Rosenstad kits were "da bomb". I bow to your skill and luck. I have has some luck with cross stitch and crewel kits, but you are the queen!!! I do international but not until someone asks. I think I must change that immediately! Great sales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a fantastic cash for trash story, great job! I always go through the craft boxes but haven't run across anything that special. I always pick up Renaisannce/History sewing patterns if they are uncut. They sell ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!
    I just linked over from Vintage Junk in my Trunk. Your blog is great and you are in my old stomping grounds. I grew up in Garden Grove, my sister and I used to junk in Santa Ana too! Have a fun tra$hy weekend!
    xoxo
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. I linked over from Vintage Junk in My Trunk too.... I've picked up a few unopened kits over the years, but haven't ever lucked out like that! You did good!!

    ReplyDelete