I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thrifty Treasures Thursday: Best $10 Flip Ever!

3105

UTILIKILT SURVIVAL Style Tan Men's Cotton Kilt 38 S – sold $232.50 – paid $1.25

702

UTILIKILT WORKMAN Style Tan Men's Kilt 38 S – sold $222.50 – paid $1.25

A couple weeks ago I found these men’s kilts at the SA (read my previous post here).  They were mixed in with the women’s skirts, and at first I also thought they were skirts.  They were very heavy, and I thought maybe they were part of a costume.

3058C

I quickly pulled out my handy-dandy android smart phone and checked the Utilikilt website.  Holy moly, these men’s kilts retail for $200-$300!  And, there wasn’t just one, but eight of these.  I paid $10 for the lot of 8 … or $1.25 for each!

When I got home, I checked the eBay listings.  There were only a handful of active listings and most had bids.  Good!  Then I checked the completed listings.  There were also a handful, but best of all?  They had all sold!  I knew then I had stumbled onto a “goldmine”.

I also discovered an upcoming event called The Burning Man.  Excuse my ignorance about this event, but apparently kilts are popular among participants.  This event takes place end of this month and is already sold out.  So I knew I had to list my kilts pronto in case anyone attending was looking for a kilt.

The auctions ended last night and the GRAND TOTAL … drum roll please:

$1346.49

Yup, that’s over $1,000, folks, for a $10 purchase!  They sold between $117.50 and $232.50 each.  The two pictured above are the highest sellers.

AND, that’s not all:  they are ALL PAID!  Eight different buyers paid within 24 hours!  I packed them up this morning and delivered them to the post office earlier today.  How about that?!

Now, I wait and hope everyone’s happy with their purchase.  I was very specific that there would be no returns on these, but ya never know.

This by far is my best flip ever … even better than the mother lode of vintage high school yearbooks that netted almost $300 (read my previous post here).  Now I can pay my car registration! Yippee!


Linking up to Thrifty Thursday @ Bloggervitaville and Thrifty Things Friday @ The Thrifty Groove.  Be sure to check them out for more great thrifty treasures!

10 comments:

  1. (on my knees) I'm not worthy!
    Hope you're going to go out and celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO GIRL!!! LOVE IT!!! Like I say, Charles Schwaab can't even do that with your $10!!! Only on Ebay!! :-)

    That's one heck of a return!! THRILLED for you!!

    Now, on to the next find..........!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That's fantastic! Go you! I'll definitely keep my eyes open for these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never even seen or heard of those. I suppose I need to get a better phone, one capable of helping me out in thrift stores. Good going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic flip! Congratulations! I hope you can do more than pay your car registration! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was an absolutely brilliant flip! I never would have considered buying a kilt and even if I did buy one, I wouldn't have thought to see about an event coming up that would require that kind of attire. Again, brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful. I've been searching for those for years but never found any.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOWWWWWWW!!!!!!What an AWESOME flip!!!!! Congratulations on those kilts!!!!!! And 8 of them...you have some major karma going on! Good for you! Please write this on Flippin' Friday! People will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete