I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Cash for Trash Wednesday

Looks like the summer slump may be over!  Last week was a fantastic week  – no small thanks to my kilt sales.  I also took advantage of eBay’s 1-cent insertion promo, which again paid off for me.  I had 43 sales, with the highest of $232.50 for a kilt and the lowest of $0.99 for a vintage crochet book and vintage glass reamer.

Aside from the kilts, here are my other top clothing sales:

3437

MILLY NEW YORK WOMEN'S BLACK SHEER LACY TOP SZ 10 – sold $19.99 – paid $1

2966

MERONA Women's Navy White Faux Wrap Dress Sz M – sold $21.50 – paid $2

3478B

The North Face Women's Black 1/2 Zip Pullover Top Sz M – sold $24.50 – paid $2

3242

FIRENZE SANTA BARBARA Black Leather Straight Skirt Sz 2 – sold $39.99 – paid $1

And my other top sellers, listed during the 1-cent insertion fee promotion:

3497

THE THREE MUSKETEERS Alexandre Dumas Easton Press MINT – $27.99 – paid $3.99

3498

Vintage Coke Coca Cola Soda Yellow Wooden Box Crate – sold $18.99 – Paid $0 (free)

The vintage coca cola box above was a freebie from a neighbor who was moving.  We’ve had it in the garage for a few years and I finally got around to listing it.  Glad it sold and will be gone!

2566

BUFFET CRAMPON PARIS COOPER SCALE FLUTE IN CASE – sold $51.00 – paid $0

This flute belong to DS#2 when he was in junior high, 6 years ago.  He quit his lessons almost as soon as he started, so the flute was hardly used.  He recently finally cleaned out his room and this flute was in the “no longer want” pile.  It sold to a buyer in India.

And, this was my best sale … well, sorta:

3166

LITTLE TIKES TYKES FOOTBALL TOY BOX ICE CHEST COOLER – sold $74.99 – paid $14.99

I was really, really excited about this item because I had just read a blog post about these football Little Tikes toy chests.  They are no longer made; and apparently, football fans who use them as ice chests are willing to pay good money for them.  Lo and behold, just days after reading that post, I found this one at a Savers thrift store.  It was priced at $14.99; but if I could get $75 for it, I would still be okay.

The thought of mailing it, however, was a put-off and I considered selling it on Craig’s List.  But when the 1-cent insertion fee promo came around, I threw caution to the wind and listed it on eBay.  I provided calculated shipping for 8.5 lbs.  I was thrilled when it sold for $74.99 plus a shipping cost of $16.03 … but my thrill was short-lived.

It took a couple days, but I finally found the perfect box, which measured 24” square.  The toy chest fit right in.  Then I went to print my shipping label … and that’s when I discovered it was going to cost me $107.16 to ship by parcel post!  UPS would be even more! 

The one thing I didn’t remember was that a package with any dimension over 12” is considered a “large package” and is subject to different postage rates that are considerably higher.  So at the risk of receiving negative feedback, I emailed my buyer to inform her of the revised shipping cost and that I could cancel the transaction if they do not wish to pay the higher cost. 

Even after all these years, I can still screw up on shipping costs.  This is one time, however, I’m not willing to cover the difference!  I suspect that other sellers who are selling this same item are going to be in for the same shock.  This is one lesson I will not forget!

This was an awesome week for sales – the best ever!  Total sales for the week?  A whopping $1862.47.  Even if the sale for the Little Tikes football is cancelled, it’d still be a fantastic week.  Now THAT’S REALLY CASH FOR TRASH!

UPDATE:  The buyer of the Little Tikes toy chest was very understanding.  She agreed to cancel the transaction and agreed not to leave negative FB.  Whew!  That’s still over $1700 in sales for the week!

Hope things are looking good and you’re sales have picked up!

4 comments:

  1. What a great week for you! That's too bad about the Little Tikes item. I had the same thing happen when I sold a Little Tikes washer and dryer recently. No matter how I packaged it, it was still too large to be exempt from a hefty surcharge. I canceled the auction and luckily my buyer was understanding. I listed it again, but as a local pick-up item. It sold for even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're unbelievable! You really need to link this up over at Club G.W. (Goodwill) with Charm Bracelet Diva! You by far get the best scores (and resales)! Hope to see you there.

    xoxo
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all your fault. I am holding you responsible. After your fantastic kilt sale I am looking very closely at all of the women's skirts. Not really....good job on the kilts and this week was a dream week for you...keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing week! So happy for you! EM @ athriftyfind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete