I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Friday, June 24, 2011

The Best Things I’ve Sold on eBay ~ #17 Desuir For Vietri Fish Pitcher

1111

Item #17: Desuir for Vietri Hand Painted Fish Pitcher

Starting Bid: $9.99 Winning Bid: $32.69
Paid: $1.99 From: Goodwill
Ended: 11/16/08 Winner: Oak Ridge, TN

This pitcher was one of those “wild card” purchases.  I was shopping the GW with DH, which can sometimes be a good thing, but not always.  As we walked around, I saw this pitcher, picked it up, and looked underneath.  It was marked “Handpainted Desuir for Vietri, Made in Italy”.  DH had that look on his face that said “ugly, cheap junk” so I put it back. 

We were standing in line to pay for our other items when I remembered reading something that said if something is marked made in Italy be sure to buy it.  I knew that if I didn’t buy the pitcher, it was going to bug me.  I figured for $1.99 I didn’t have much to lose.  In spite of a skeptical DH, it came home with me.

I researched it and found hand painted Italian pottery with this mark is a good seller.  This pitcher had a small chip on its nose, but it still sold for almost $33.00 … 16 times what I’d paid! 

I bought this in 2008 when prices were still reasonable at GW and SA.  Today, I’m sure it would be marked $5.99 or even $7.99, if not more.  But, then again, three years ago who would have thought we’d be paying $5 for a gallon of gasoline?!

1 comment:

  1. Ugly sells. My DH questions what I buy as well and I prove him wrong most of the time. I bought a talking Stewart Little doll a few months back for $2 I listed it as BIN or BO for $49.99. It sat for almost the whole month with my hubby saying sell it for $15 No one will buy it. I got my full asking price! Never listen to DH.

    ReplyDelete