I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust … eBay Continues Its Purging

I'm outta here!

I hadn’t visited Robin’s site or eBay store for awhile, so today I decided to see what she’d been up to.  I was a little surprised to see no items in her store and only 3 recent sales completed this month.  Hmmm? 

This is what I found on her “About Me” page:

Well I'm done here. I just received an email from the powers that be, that all of my listings have been cancelled and my account has been suspended. "Wow you must have really done something bad?". I wish I knew what it was! No explanation, no timeline, no reason at all. Despite constant hard work and repeat business, paid in full accounts and positive feedback, I apparently am not up to snuff. From now on, please contact me directly on Twitter and Facebook...would love to hear from you. Oh, and all that great vintage that won't be here anymore? Please find me on etsy....same name, same quality, different address …Thanks for being such great customers over the years.

What a difference to what she wrote just two years ago in 2009:

Well here we are in 2009...this officially marks the beginning of my 11th year selling on eBay! I've seen the economy at its highest and now I'm seeing it at its lowest.

Recession, depression, call it what you will...we're all broke!

There has never been a better time to buy vintage and buy eBay where you're guaranteed a unique, fun and economical experience.

I'm not going anywhere...I'll continue to bring you beautiful auctions each and every week. I hope you'll bookmark my auctions and check back often...customer service continues to be a priority…

Robin had been a loyal eBayer for 13 years (since 1998), with a store since 2006; and was obviously excited and upbeat about her eBay experience.  She had over 4,000 feedback ratings and a 99.3% feedback percentage. 

So what’s the deal?!  I’m speculating that she was not selling enough and eBay considered her a “hobby” or “casual” seller.  Her feedback profile shows 314 transactions over the past 12 months ...  or about 26 transactions per month.  I’m sure she’d had more transactions since not everyone leaves feedback, but apparently not enough to satisfy eBay.

Looks like eBay is also putting selling restrictions on long-time sellers similar to those for new sellers.  Here’s the full article by Ina Steiner of AuctionBytes.com.

“No explanation, no timeline, no reason at all.” This says it all from Robin.  The good thing is that Robin had another option … she opened her own Etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ivegonemod.

* * Don’t put all your eggs in one basket * *

5 comments:

  1. This is very sad...and scary. I'm doing well on Ebay lately and now I'm worried something like this could happen, not only without a warning, but without an explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ebay is going to put itself out of business! I mean I really think us junk collectors/sellers made it what it is (not the new crap sellers). Buying the odd or rare item is from occasional sellers (hobby sellers) who may purge their own collections or thrift as a hobby and sell to support the habit.

    Stupid on their part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow I am beginning to feel this will happen to me. I have not sold enough in the last year. I do have a booth on Bonanza and addoway so when ebay pulls my plug, I will still have that other revenue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I glad you friend was able to continue with etsy. I have heard a lot of great things about them. It seems to me Ebay is going to hurt themselves in the long run if they continue to get rid of the little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sound just like what hapened to laura from mydeartrash!
    So scary! I better get my butt in gear and clear out my inventory sooner than later in case this happens to me! I have a good feedback score but have been worried because one of my starts is at 4.7 out of 5, its my shipping one, but I don't overcharge unreasonbly (I charge $6 priority) and everyone is so excited they receive so quickly, now that ebay charges fees for shipping you have to up your shipping just to cover it!

    ReplyDelete