I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day 2011: Today We Honor Our Heroes

IMG_8917

Today is the day we honor our heroes.  Let’s remember and honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country and for the freedom we enjoy every day. 

DSC05117

Let’s not forget that there are still tens of thousands of our young men and women who continue to be in harm's way in Afghanistan and Iraq.  Let us pray that they come back home soon.

IMG_8905

DH and I spent Saturday and Sunday in San Diego, just a 2-hour drive from our home.  Yesterday, we visited Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery in Point Loma.  We were there in the morning and not many other folks were around.

DSC05121

Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery includes those Veterans of WW I, WW II, Korea, VietNam and the Gulf wars. Also here are those who fell in the battle of San Pasqual in 1846, as well as victims of the USS Bennington explosion in 1905.

DSC05129

And except for the wind, it was a beautiful sunny day.  Because of the strong wind, many of the flags had blown down to the ground.  I could not in good conscience let this go.  So DH and I spent a few minutes going up the rows picking the flags off the ground and reinserting them in the proper sites. 

IMG_8923

The rows of white headstones that mark the gravesites make their way down the 77.5 acres of gentle grassy slopes on both the ocean and San Diego Bay sides, with stunning views. 

IMG_8904

Please enjoy this short video and let us never forget.

Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery–Memorial Day 2011

1 comment:

  1. You're a good person to right the flags. Warms my heart a little to read that.

    ReplyDelete