I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Detailed Seller Ratings: What Are They?

DSRs were introduced in 2008 but many sellers failed to see their true impact on their eBay business.  Sellers continued selling on eBay as they always had – until one day they woke up and found their eBay store had been shut down.  Whoa!  Turns out they were paying more attention to their Feedback and ignoring their DSRs.  I, too, had read the announcements from eBay but never fully understood their importance – until now!

So what are Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) and why are they so important?  In addition to leaving general feedback, buyers can rate a transaction with detailed seller ratings (DSRs).  The detailed rating consists of a 1- through 5-star score, with 5 stars being the best rating.  Low DSRs are 1s and 2s – the worst rating.  Sellers are rated in each of several categories:

  • Accuracy of the item description
  • Seller communication
  • Shipping speed
  • Shipping and handling charges

For a seller, the importance of DSRs cannot be overstated.  Because eBay uses DSRs to evaluate a seller’s performance, a rating of less than 5-stars will affect your seller status, your fee discount, your search ranking – and even your ability to sell on eBay.  Receive too many 1- and 2-star ratings and you can be permanently banned from selling on eBay. 

I truly believe there are buyers who don’t fully understand how harmful their less than 5-star rating is to a seller.  Before leaving a detailed rating, buyers should keep in mind that anything other than five stars actually penalizes the seller. Therefore, it's best that buyers give full marks (5 stars) to any seller with whom they are generally satisfied.  Buyers should reserve less-than-five-star ratings for sellers they are truly upset with and would like to see restricted on eBay.

Now eBay is preventing sellers from making certain statements about feedback in their listings or encouraging buyers to leave 5-star ratings. Pop-up messages began appearing last month when some sellers tried to relist items.  Read the entire post by AuctionBytes.com here.

The impact of low DSRs has been so prevalent that, last December, several sellers filed an antitrust lawsuit against eBay over its Detailed Seller Ratings (DSR) policy.  According to the lawsuit, "Defendant eBay's DSR Policy is destroying the business and livelihood of many well established, small eBay auction sellers.”  I couldn’t find any current information on the status of the lawsuit, but you can read more about the lawsuit in AuctionBytes.com.

To make matters worse, a year ago eBay instituted a new policy on Open Cases.  eBay counts the number of customer claims that are opened against a seller, no matter how the case is ultimately resolved. It doesn't matter whose fault it is or how the seller responds, any time a buyer opens a claim, it goes on the seller's record as a black mark.   Read the entire post by AuctionBytes.com here.

Is eBay’s message to its sellers this: you can't win?

To be continued …

1 comment:

  1. Amazing they choose this type of system in a place where we are all taught that no one is perfect (5 stars) and that there is always room for improvement. I guess they will be closing stores and banning people left and right.

    It definitely no longer sounds like a friendly online marketplace where people like me can make a little extra money. I wish I had started ten years ago!

    I am looking into other online selling options. I will still try and sell on eBay, but I won't put all my eggs in that basket. I am going to include some info on the star ratings on my packing slips. Maybe that will help a little.

    Thanks for the info and the time you have taken putting this info together. Here's hoping eBay gets the picture before it's too late.

    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete