I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cost of Clothes Rising … and Rags to Riches Challenge Week #8

“COST OF CLOTHES RISING …Customers are going to be surprised, as cotton and other materials skyrocket”

levis-501-jeans-club-monaco

That was the heading in the newspaper article I read a couple weeks ago.  The article went on to say that clothing prices are expected to rise about 10 percent in coming months.  Although clothing prices have dropped for a decade, the price of cotton has more than doubled over the past year.  The price of other synthetic fabrics has also jumped about 50 percent, even as retailers and clothing makers cut frills and experimented with fabric blends to cut prices.

This is great news for clothing resellers because more folks will start looking for alternative affordable sources of quality clothing.  And, that means I will continue selling pre-owned clothes on eBay, which has been a successful venture for me.  So how did we do this past week?

I listed and relisted a total of 88 clothing items.  I also listed 75 non-clothing items that had been sitting in my eBay store for awhile.  So I had a total of 163 items up for auction last week.

Only 10 of my non-clothing items sold.  Not as well as I’d hope, but at least they’re no longer in my inventory.  As for clothing … well, it was another good week.  I had a total of 39 sales!  Here are my top sellers:

3002

CAbi Misses Sage Green Cargo Casual Pants Size 12 ~ Sold $13.79

2954

DISNEY POOH Women's Cotton Denim Jeans Overalls Sz 22W ~ Sold $16.50

1819 (2)

FRESH PRODUCE Women's Blue Cotton T-Shirt SS Dress Sz L ~ sold $18.55

3001

J JILL Misses Linen Beige Tan Pull On Pants Sz XL Tall ~ sold $21.38

…and my top seller of the week:

2992

TOMMY HILFIGER Womens Cotton Denim Jeans Overalls Sz L ~ Sold $36.00

No Tommy Bahama shirts this week, but Tommy Hilfiger overalls did great!  Another Fresh Produce dress also was a good seller, but apparently Fresh Produce sells better during the summer months.

So here’s the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Ebay fees were higher this week due to the increase number of auction listings.

Here’s how we did for Week #8:

Auction Sales:

$494.50

Total: $2231.50

Cost of Goods:

$47.00

Total: $496.35

eBay & PP Fees:

$110.30

Total: $427.07

Total Net Profits:

$1308.08

 

Just $5.50 short of $500 … not too bad for a few hours of work.  Let’s see how we do this week …

Total online sales, including eBay store, totaled $520.04!  Now THAT’S cash for trash!


2011-03-25 17.39.51

Last week, my DS#1 was home from Berkeley for spring break, so didn’t get much listing done.  I’m sure it’ll show up in the numbers this week.  Just got in last night from taking him back to school.  While we were in the Berkeley/Oakland area, my BFF Viv and I took a side trip to San Francisco. 

2011-03-25 18.07.15

Even the cold and rainy weather didn’t dampen our enthusiasm.  Nothing like a nice hot Sourdough Bread Bowl of chowder with a margarita to make things all better!

Island of Alcatraz 2011-03-25

This is as close as we got to the island of Alcatraz. 

2011-03-25 18.26.15

Took a few minutes to visit with the sea lions.  It’s their off season, but as many as 600 sea lions can be seen off this pier when it’s the right time.

We spent just a few hours at Fisherman’s Wharf but we had a blast!

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about Ebay and you are really inspiring me. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete