I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thrifty Treasures Thursday

2252

A few weeks ago I found this vintage Manning Bowman art deco chrome tray with glass insert at my local GW.  Of course, at the time, I had no idea that’s what it was.  I don’t usually have much luck finding treasures in the metalware section, but the design on this tray caught my eye.  So for the price of $2.50, it came home with me.

After cleaning it a little, it turned out to be a real beauty.  I saw that it had an imprint in the back: Manning Bowman Quality, Meriden Conn, PAT May 25, 1915.  My online research revealed that the Manning-Bowman Co. was started in 1832, and it manufactured and sold consumer products for the American home, such as waffle irons, percolators, irons, etc.  Turns out my little tray was actually chrome and not silverplated as I originally assumed.  It recently sold for $20.00 to a buyer from Hawaii.


2222

Here’s another thrifty treasure I found a few weeks ago.  I just LOVE this southern belle because it’s exactly like the one my mom had when I was growing up. 

$RUDJNTO

She opens up into three pieces.  Remove her skirt to reveal a thread and thimble holder.  If you remove the top, you will see that her skirt holds a pin cushion.  I love collecting vintage sewing items, which are still very affordable.  I think I paid $2 or $3 for this pretty belle at a small thrift store from a local church.  It’s perfect for my sewing room!

Linking up again to the following.  Be sure to check them out for more great thrifty treasures!

Thrifty Thursday @ Bloggervitaville

Junkin’ Finds Friday @ A La Carte

And don’t forget to check out my Cash for Trash Wednesday post for an update on my Rags to Riches Challenge.  It was another great week!

3 comments:

  1. Love the little sewing lady! How cute! I've not seen one of those before. Thanks so much for joining JFF this week! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Southern Belle! I have never seen one of those before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What neat finds! I love that silver tray--pretty design.

    ReplyDelete