I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thrifty Treasures Thursday

Now that January’s come and gone, the pickin’s at the thrift store have been pretty slim.  Haven’t found much of anything lately.  And what about those prices?  There must be some kinda competition going on with the thrift stores, the gasoline companies and the post office cuz their prices keep going up, up … and away!

DSC03589

But a couple days ago I did manage to find these two beauties.  They are the apple and pear from the Fitz & Floyd Le Jardin Potagere Lidded Boxes collection.  The top comes off like a sugar bowl or cookie jar.  This line is retired and I would guess these are about 8-9 years old.

DSC03595

They are made of porcelain and absolutely beautiful in perfect condition.  They were each $3.99, but well worth the money.  As much as I want to keep them, I’ll probably list them on eBay.

716

About a week ago, I found this buckle and belt at my local GW.  The buckle is from Kaiser Steel and was a safety award.  It’s beautiful but it caught my eye because Kaiser is commonly associated with the Kaiser Permanente HMO.  I did some research and was fascinated with the local history associated with this buckle.

I discovered that Kaiser Steel had one of the largest steelmaking plants in the world in Fontana CA; and the Kaiser health organization was started for the employees of Kaiser Steel.  The steel plant was originally built during WWII to provide steel to the shipyards.  Sadly, the plant closed down in 1983 and a portion of it is now the Auto Club Speedway.

I was very tempted to keep the buckle & belt, but decided to sell it on eBay.  I bought it for $4 and it sold for $16.00 to a buyer from Oakland CA.  I think this was a great flip … not only did I make a few bucks, but I also received a lesson in local history.  Isn’t thrifting great?!

Linking up again to the following.  Be sure to check them out for more great thrifty treasures!

Thrifty Thursday @ Bloggervitaville

Junkin’ Finds Friday @ A La Carte

And don’t forget to check out my Cash for Trash Wednesday post for an update on my “eBay experiment”.  It was a great week!

6 comments:

  1. Love the Fritz& Floyd! When I buy them for resale they somehow like my home and never make it to ebay.

    Have a good day,
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Fitz and Floyd pieces are so pretty and I think that is a great price for them. Love the history of Kaiser. Good finds for sure. Thanks for linking up to JFF this week! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you did pretty good even if you thought the pickins were slim. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came over to see that belt buckle! VERY cool! Pickens have been slim too...waiting for "spring cleaning/garage sale" weather to kick in...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had Kaiser shipyards up here, too. I love flips like that; besides the cash, the seller learns something from the research and the buyer gets a tangible piece of history.

    ReplyDelete