I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cash for Trash Wednesday

It was a great week on eBay!  And I hit pay dirt at the Salvation Army … but more about that after my “eBay experiment” report. 

This past week I listed 29 items on eBay, including 9 items I relisted from last week. A total of 14 items sold.  Here are some of my top sellers:

1356

APNY Alyn Paige Sz 6 Red Spring Floral Dress $14.99

1163

Ann Taylor Sz 12 Women's Spring Dress ~ This dress was brand new with it’s original tags MSRP $59.00 ~ Sold for $19.99

1288

APNY Alyn Paige Women’s Sz 16 Spring Floral Dress ~ Had multiple bids and sold for $26 ~ Larger sizes seem to do well on eBay

1188

EVAN PICONE Floral Rayon Women's Size 8 Spring Dress $9.99

849

Banana Republic Misses Size 0 Long Denim Jean Skirt $9.99

Here’s my top seller of the week … maybe even the month … it was my wild card:

690

BASIL MAUDE ANTHROPOLOGIE SEQUINS BEADS SIZE 4 SKIRT ~ SOLD FOR $46.00

690F

I was not at all familiar with the name Basil & Maude, but the skirt was funky and artsy so I took a chance.  I expected to pay regular price of $4.99, but the cashier said he’d give it to me at 50% off!  My eBay research told me this brand is sold at Anthropologie and other higher end boutiques, so I listed it with a starting bid of $39.00.  After multiple bids, it sold for $46 … it more than paid for my entire GW purchase!

And, of the 9 items I relisted from last week, 5 of them sold.  Here’s a pair of shorts that sold:

2906

FUBU Men's Size 30W Black Denim Cargo Jean Shorts – These looked brand new but didn’t sell at auction, so I relisted them with a fixed price of $9.99.  They sold a couple days ago, and someone from Italy is going to love them!

And remember my disappointment from last week?

1786

NEW CABI Carol Anderson Misses Size 6 Striped Short Skirt – It too didn’t sell at auction so I relisted it, and 2 days ago it sold for the fixed price of $14.99!

Let’s see how we did this week:

Auction Sales Week #2:

$233.74

Total: $352.03

Costs Week #2:

$68.19

Total: $120.57

Total Gross Profits:

$231.46

 

Not a huge profit, but you can see that this week’s sales were 100% profit.  And that’s because my profits from last week also covered this week’s costs.  Not too bad. 

Besides, it’s good have $231.46 sitting in your account when you have unexpected auto repair expenses.  Yup, I had to take my car in, and it almost set me back over $500 … I just about had a heart attack!  Then a few minutes later, the guy tells me I have an extended warranty and it’ll only cost me $100 deductible! Awesome!  Anyway, just glad my eBay money was there for me!

So last week, pants were on sale at GW for $5.00 … regular price is $6.49.  Hmmm, not a huge sale but pants with special tags were 50% off.  I bought 15 pairs: 9 at $3.25 and 6 at $4, which included my senior discount.  I also bought 3 skirts @ $2.50 each.  I currently have 23 auctions that will end on Sunday.  Two pairs of pants already have bids and others have multiple watchers.  Let’s see how we do next week … will we make it or break it?


So this past Friday I went to the SA for their bi-monthly 50%-off-entire-store sale.  No real surprise, but they’ve raised their prices this year.  I was very choosy but still managed to come home with a few clothing items. 

But, wait!  I overheard a conversation and discovered that dresses go on sale for $2 during the week!  My favorite cashier confirmed that Monday is “Rag Day” with special prices on clothing. 

So Monday I’m back at the SA; and not only were dresses on sale for $2, but pants were also on sale at two for a dollarFifty cents each!  You all know I stocked up, so I’ll be busy listing for a few days.

BTW, total eBay sales for this week, including eBay store, was $399.08!  Now THAT’S cash for trash!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You are a pro. You are going to great at this. Keep up the good work and remember to find value where others may not see it, especially in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great week! I can't believe quality pants at 50c. I'm curious about selling and shipping internationally. Are there particular US clothes that are in demand overseas? How does the shipping work? Please include some info in a future post.

    ReplyDelete