I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cash for Trash Wednesday: Rags To Riches Challenge

It was another great week for online sales!  Although I sell mostly on eBay, I also sell on Etsy and Bonanza.  I don’t concentrate much on the latter two to make many sales, but every once in a while I do make a sale or two.  This past week I made a nice sale on Etsy.

2892E

Pink Green Orange Pinwheel Sampler Quilt 56 x 68 NEW ~ $130

Here are my top eBay sales:

2150

LAPIS Anthropologie Silk Embroidered Skirt Sz S ~ $12.99

2126

Jones New York Floral Sleeveless SILK Dress Sz 6 ~ $14.99

2469

VINCE Anthropologie Flat Front Slacks Pants Sz 6 ~ $14.99

1784C

NEW ELEVENSES Anthropologie WOMENS Pants SZ 10t ~ $20.50

… and my top seller of the week:

2433

TOMMY BAHAMA Linen Silk Casual Resort Men's Shirt Sz XXL ~ $33.01

My disappointment of the week:

2468

These gorgeous 100% silk Tommy Bahama women’s lined slacks.  I had them listed for $12.99, which I thought was a great price for the quality, but they didn’t sell at auction.  They’re relisted in my store, so I hope they sell as spring and summer arrive.

Although my total online sales for the week were the best so far, my clothing auctions were a disappointment.  Between new listings and relisted items, I had 34 auctions, but made only 9 sales.  Sigh.  This could be due to: (1) February is usually a slow month; and (2) higher starting bids.  Because I paid between $3-$5 per item, I started some listings at $12-$15 for name brand quality items.  I have them relisted in my store so we’ll see how they do over the next few weeks.

The good news is I discovered Rag Days at the SA!  This week men’s slacks were $1.00.  With such low prices, I can list with a lower starting bid; and hopefully, this will result in more sales.  We’ll see next week how it tallies up.


Since I’m going forward with my “experiment” of selling clothes on eBay, I decided to make it interesting and challenging.  Like many folks, we have home projects that have been on the back burner due to finances.  Two major projects that we’d like to do are (1) replace the living room carpet and (2) repair the pool pump and refurbish the pool.  I think a goal of $4,000 would certainly help.  So I’m setting a July 1 deadline date, and I’m going to call my self-imposed challenge Rags to Riches

By posting this on my blog, I hope it’ll make me more accountable. I also hope to inspire others who may need to raise some extra funds – just like I was inspired by My Dear Trash.  So I will continue with my running tally and update you each week. I still have a ways to go to reach my goal of $4,000 so any encouragement will be greatly appreciated!

So let’s see how we did this week:

Auction Sales Week #3:

$149.89

Total: $501.92

Costs Week #3:

$65.52

Total: $186.09

Total Gross Profits:

$315.83

 

Definitely the costs for inventory are way too high.  Thank goodness for Rag Days at the SA! 

Over the next couple of days, I’ll be posting about a couple of tools I use to list on eBay and ship my items without standing in line at the post office.  And, I’ll show you how EASY it is to ship internationally!  International buyers are a good source of income for my business, and it really is easy to ship with the tool I’m going to show you.  Best of all, they are FREE!!

Total online sales for this week, including eBay store and Etsy, were $443.45!  Now THAT’S cash for trash!

2 comments:

  1. Go you!! I loved the last two weeks, after seeing your spring dresses do so well and your Tommy Bahama, I'm wondering if I should switch to spring attire. Can't wait to hear about international shipping, for whatever reason its got me flamboozled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing so great. I still have plenty to learn. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete