I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cash for Trash Thursday

clip_image001

In my previous post, I talked about stumbling upon a blog called My Dear Trash by two very savvy SAHMs.  I am in awe at how successful they’ve been at reselling on eBay the clothes they pick up at thrift stores and garage sales.  Granted, they buy a majority of the clothes during Dollar Day at their local GW, but they also buy at garage-yard sales.  Usually they pay $1.00 per item and try to pay no more than $2.00.

We don’t have Dollar Days at GW in So. California but they do have special sales.  But with their high prices, GW sale prices range from $2.50 to $5.00 – yes, it sucks not having Dollar Days.  But I decided to give it a try anyway.

Every Wednesday, GW puts a specific clothing item on sale for a week; and every Saturday a specific color tag goes on sale at 50% off for a week.  Two weeks ago, all shorts were on sale for $2.99.  I bought 7 shorts plus two skirts at 50% off for $2.50 each.  I also bought 2 skirts at the regular price of $4.99; but I applied my “senior” discount to them so they each cost $2.99.  Eleven items purchased for $31.91.

To this lot I added two pairs of crop pants I’d bought a couple years ago and never wore, plus 6 other items I’d previously bought at the GW.  So, in total I listed 20 clothing items at auction.  At the end of the week, 9 items sold!  The items that didn’t sell were relisted: 4 items were relisted at auction and the rest were relisted as fixed-price.  Those totals will be included in next week’s tally.

Here are my top sellers for this week:

089

Men’s FUBU Size 38W Black Carpenter Shorts $16.49

clip_image003

Ralph Lauren Misses Sz 8 Long Denim Jean Skirt $14.99

clip_image004

NEW Dickies Men's Size 32W Black Cargo Shorts $14.50

clip_image005

Motherhood Maternity Black Dress Swimsuit Sz L $10.50

And my highest seller of the week:

clip_image006

USC Child Size 6 Cheerleader Top & Skirt Outfit Costume $20.00

And my eBay disappointment for the week:

1786

This brand new CAbi short skirt which I think is darling and great for the summer/spring.  I have it relisted at $14.99, so we’ll see what happens this week.

Except for the Ralph Lauren and CAbi skirts, items were listed with a starting price of $5.99-$6.99, with the new items starting at $9.99.  Each item also has a handling fee so that will be added to my profits, and I will also need to pay eBay-Paypal fees at the end of the month.  Here are the results:

Auction Sales This Week:

$118.27

Costs This Week:

$52.38

Gross Profits:

$65.89

Not too shabby, I must say! I was encouraged and decided to continue with my “experiment”.  Last week, dresses were on sale for $3.99, and I went “for it” by buying eleven dresses!  I also bought 3 skirts, 2 pair of jeans, a cashmere sweater, a vintage belt buckle and a pair of toddler overalls at 50% off.  I currently have 23 auctions that will end on Sunday.  One dress already has a bid and others have multiple watchers.  Let’s see how we do next week … will we make it or break it?

Oh, BTW, total eBay sales for the same week, including eBay store, was $246.59!  Now THAT’S cash for trash!


Linking up again to the following.  Be sure to check them out for more great thrifty treasures!

Thrifty Thursday @ Bloggervitaville

Junkin’ Finds Friday @ A La Carte

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first week. We don't have dollar days up here either. Or weekly sales. We do have the half price on the color tags and a 15% senior discount; yours appears to be better. They have a Club Goodwill discount card, but they switched over to a new system and I was deleted from the program and they won't take any new members :( Plus, they opened a "boutique" Goodwill where they send anything designer or high quality. But it looks like you're off to a good start. One nice thing about clothes is that they're easy to ship. I've got my fingers crossed for you for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job bargain hunting! You'll do well with resale--everybody is looking for a bargain these days. Love your stuff. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on such great resale! I have never tried the clothes but you seem to be off to a good start. Thanks for linking up to JFF and I hope you keep us informed each week as to your progress. I really love seeing how your doing! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your sales!! May you have many more! We don't have $ days either, and ours is SO expensive. Crazy!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing fabulous! In one of the cities I live in, there is a GW in a 'richy' part of the metro that oddly has the best prices on clothing. I drive by it after work each day and occasionally stop. Right after I read about some of the Anthropologie name brands, I immediately pulled a skirt out of the masses! Once you find one and learn the quality, they may be easier to spot (I had read an article on Ebay about Anthro clothing). I have not ventured into sales at ebay yet, but I am really thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete