I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Weekly Thrifty Treasures

DSC03427

I enjoy collecting cookie jars, especially at bargain prices.  This past weekend, I made my required daily weekly trek to my local GW and was thrilled to find a shelf full of cookie jars!  Someone must have done some serious cleaning and donated their collection.  I paid $5.50 for each of these four.

Side Note: Check out my previous post about overflowing thrift stores during January!

My favorite cookie jar is the mother and baby bunny with the glass eyes (pictured above).  It’s just beautiful!  My research found the exact jar at Ruby Lane collectibles for $85!  Apparently, it was sold at Mervyns in the 1980s; it is very rare and hard to find.

DSC03430

This next one (pictured above) is a Castle Cookie Jar by Treasure Craft.  I found an online site that sold one like it for $53!  Although that one was new with original box, mine is in great condition sans box.

DSC03428

This is the third Oreo Cooke Jar that I have found at a thrift store.  I sold the first one but kept the second one.  This is a vintage cookie jar made in Japan.  I’ve seen them listed for between $30-$40.  I currently have this one listed in my eBay store for much less.

DSC03425

This last one is an old-time western building – perhaps a general store – in a town called Cookieville!  It’s also made by Treasure Craft.  Treasure Craft started in Gardena CA in 1945 and went through several changes of ownership.  In 1999, it was sold to Zak Designs, which seems to have phased out the Treasure Craft name.  I suspect that with time Treasure Craft jars will become highly collectible.


DSC03424

This is a picture of some of the clothes that I also bought at the GW this past weekend.  For the past week and a half, I’ve been buying shorts, skirts, swimsuits and dresses – all on sale – to resell on eBay.  “Huh?” you say.

Well, a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon a blog by two very savvy SAHMs called My Dear Trash.  I was in awe at how successful they have been at reselling on eBay the clothes they pick up at thrift stores and garage sales.  Granted, this is not a get-rich scheme, but one mom was able to finance a trip to Disney World for her family of 7 in just 4 months.  The other mom supplements her family’s income so she can stay home to care for her 5 young children. 

Part of their success is Dollar Days at their GW store.  Yes, it sucks not having Dollar Days, but I thought I’d test the waters anyway.  Stay tuned for Cash for Trash Thursday to see what happened!

Linking up to Thrift Share Monday @ Apron Thrift Girl.  Be sure to visit for many more thrifty treasures!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, interesting idea. There are definitely buried pieces of treasure at the thrift! And I've also read that buying off-season is usually a good bet too. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete