I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cash for Trash Thursday

1142-1144

In last week’s Cash for Trash post, I mentioned the great flip I had with the Reed Barton dinner forks that sold for $50.  Here’s another great dinnerware flip I had this week.  I sold three of these discontinued Sango Quadrille Black Lilies dinner plate (pictured above) for $10 each; my cost for each plate was about $0.45!  I purchased a box of this dinnerware at an estate sale for about $8.00.  My total sales on this box?  $82.00 … more than 10 times what I paid!  I would not have been able to make this amount had I tried to sell it as a lot.

I am definitely not an expert on dinnerware, but I have found a few pieces that I’ve taken a chance.  I’ve sold some of the pieces pictured above for $9.00-$13.00 each, and each cost between $0.40-$0.60.  That’s a great return on my money!

I found a box of this brand new Fiestaware by Homer Laughlin at my fave GW store for $7.00.  This is not vintage but a newer pattern released in 2003.  I listed the plates individually, but sold the cups & saucers as a set.  So far all have sold except for three items.  Once these are sold, total sales on this $7 purchase will be over $150!

Thrifty Tip:  For the most part, cups and saucers do not sell well as most folks today prefer mugs.  I usually donate the cups & saucers as I make more than enough to cover the cost with the plates and bowls. 

I think this is one topic to seriously research and become more informed as it can be a real money maker!

What’s your “cash for trash” story?

Linking up again to the following.  Be sure to check them out for more great thrifty treasures!

Thrifty Thursday @ Bloggervitaville

Junkin’ Finds Friday @ A La Carte

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful sales on your dishes! That is very encouraging for me as I love to buy dishes but have not tried to resale much. Thanks for joining JFF. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds and turnaround profit!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete