I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cash for Trash Thursday

692

They say that one man’s trash is another man’s (or woman’s) treasure.  It’s a win-win situation for everyone.  Not only am I helping the economy but also the environment by keeping this “trash” out of our landfills.  I love it cuz I’m converting that “trash” into cash! 

Check out this Disney Big Bad Wolf from the Three Little Pigs (pictured above) that I listed on eBay on Monday.  He sold within hours for $40.  I bought him at my fave GW store for $1.99.

I’ve been fairly successful selling plush stuffed toys, which  I usually pick up at garage/yard sales for a quarter or fifty cents.  I may even pay up to $2.00 if I think it’ll be a good seller.  Here are a few more great flips I’ve had with plush toys:

1506

18” Mummford Penguin by Debbie Mumm

Paid $2 – Sold for $50

1442

The Inn Thing Target Store White Plush Dog w/ Bullseye

Paid $1.00 – Sold for $20

2177

DAEKOR POT BELLIES RACCOON W/ TAG VINTAGE 1980

Paid $2.00 – Sold for $20

2399

CHARIZARD Pokemon Dragon 22-In Plush w/ Tag

Paid $1.00 – Sold for $25

2876

PLUSH CHILLY WILLY 1982 BY WALTER LANTZ INC W/ TAG

Paid $0.25 – Sold for $15

When looking for plush stuffed toys to re-sell, look for items that are in good clean condition.  It helps if they still have their original hang tag, but it could still be good seller even without the tag.  The more unusual the better, just make sure it’s in good shape.

Here are a few more great flips I had this week:

2126B

Disney Figural Pluto Character Mug by Treasure Craft

Paid $1.50 – Sold within 2 days for $12.00

2571

Until the Twelfth of Never Bella Stumbo HC 1st Ed 1993

Already Owned – Sold for $35

2048-52

Reed Barton PIAZZA NAVONNA Stainless 2 Dinner Forks

Paid $0.20 – Sold for $10 – Buyer purchased all 5 sets, for a total of $50.  My cost? $1.00

Some folks are very successful selling dinner- and tableware.  If you know what you’re doing, you can make a nice profit.  For instance, I purchased the Reed Barton Dinner Forks (pictured above) from a garage sale.  The box had about 50 pieces of this Piazza Navonna design and I paid $5.00 for it.  I’d never heard of Reed Barton, but I could tell they were quality items so I took a chance.  I’ve already made 10 times what I paid just with the sale of the forks. 

When looking to re-sell dinner- and tableware, it’s best to break out the set and sell individual items.  They sell quicker and you make a better profit, because folks are usually looking to replace individual items that have been lost or damaged rather than whole sets.

What’s your “trash to cash” story?

Linking up again to the following.  Be sure to check them out for more great thrifty treasures!

Thrifty Thursday @ Bloggervitaville

Junkin’ Finds Friday @ A La Carte

5 comments:

  1. Rita- Nice flips on those plush toys-you have the golden touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Really great information! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on those flips. Looks like the new year is off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I am impressed with your trash to treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info! I'm considering branching out into the world of plush selling. This gives me some ideas to be on the lookout for!

    ReplyDelete