I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Weekly Thrifty Treasures

DSC02836

I found some great treasures at the thrift stores this past week!  Look at this awesome white stoneware tureen from a California pottery that I found at the Goodwill for only $4.00!  It was originally priced at $7.99, but was half-off the day I was there.  It’s beautiful and in perfect condition, although it’s missing the ladle.

DSC02888 DSC02889

I also found this great pair of candle holders for $1.99 each and added a $1.00 candle.  Melissa @ 320*Sycamore posted about her Dollar Tree hurricanes which are inexpensive and easy to make.  And the two reindeer were $2.99 each. (BTW, the brass stocking holders were GW finds a few years ago.)

DSC02885I saw this cute holiday duck in a display window so I’m thinking of running over to the $ Tree to pick up some ribbon, bells and trim to spruce up the reindeer … any excuse to go to the $ Tree!!

DSC02833

I also found this great brand-new candle warmer with the snowman for $3.00 (off-half).  It’ll replace this one for the holidays, which I also bought at the TS a couple years ago.  I love these candle warmers … they make the rooms smell wonderful!

DSC02834

This one is out year-round and sits on this vintage dresser in my formal dining room.  It was great for the fall, but the new snowman warmer is much better for Christmas.

NOV2010-4

BTW, I bought this vintage dresser AND mirror last year at a church rummage sale for only $15.00! What a deal!


Now for the fantastic deals I found at the Salvation Army this past Friday!  Every first and third Fridays of the month, the SAs in my area have everything in the store at 50% off.  (That’s normally the only time I shop at the SA.)  And this past Friday, everything that was Christmas was 75% off!  I bought 20 items, and my total for everything was $22.56 … that’s less than $1.13 per item!

Can you believe I bought all these quilts and wall hangings at the thrift store?  How sad is that?  I just knew I had to rescue them.

DSC02858Price $6.00 = Paid $3.00

DSC02866Price $5.00 = Paid $2.50

DSC02859Price $15.00 = Paid $0

DSC02864Price $10.00 = Paid $0

DSC02891Price $6.00 = Paid $3.00

I paid a total of $8.50 for all 5 quilts … unbelievable!  The quilt top is shown on a queen size bed … I would have paid the $22.56 for that alone.  It is made with vintage fabrics.  It may not be perfect, but someone put a lot of effort into it.

This Nativity Set originally sold in 2000 for $24.95 at Rite-Aid.  The original receipt was still in the box and someone bought it on sale for $12.50.  The figurines are made of resin and it’s your common dime-store quality, but the price was right.

DSC02868Price $6.95 = Paid $1.74

Six boxes of 25 C-9 Christmas light bulbs.  They’re made in the Republic of China so I’m sure they’re not vintage and not quality.

DSC02867Price $2.35/box ($14.10) = Paid $0.59/box ($3.54)

But the price was right, and they’d be perfect for making this:

IMG_4132

You have got to check out the awesome wreaths by Suzy at The Wreath Blog or Georgiapeachez.

DSC02877

Some vintage books for $0.50 each to make some of these:

il_570xN_193429694

Wreaths made from old book pages.  These are inexpensive and easy to make; and look great!  You’ll find several tutorials by doing a Google search.

DSC02869

Lidded glass jar $5.75 = Paid $2.88

Baby buggy planter $3.55 = Paid $1.78

Christmas Nikko dinner bell $5.75 = Paid $1.44 (no pic)

Ty Snowman $2.35 = Paid $0.59

Cookie cutters $2.35 = Paid $0.59

The little TY Snowman is perfect as an ornament for my Snowman Christmas Tree:

DSC02872

Isn’t this collection of baby planters adorable?  From Betty@MyMinkBetty.  I already have two that I received so this baby buggy will make three … ahhh, the start of a new collection!

And the cookie cutters will be used to make these easy and fun ornaments.  From Kate@CentsationalGirl.

white glitter star

This cute little rooster was another freebie.  Not sure what I’m going to do with him, but I thought he was too cute to pass up!

DSC02871

I think I found some pretty good deals this past Friday at the SA, but it was a mad house.  The crowds were as bad as Black Friday!  The poor clerks were so overwhelmed that I’m sure they made mistakes.  When I got home and compared my receipt with the items I bought, I realized they did not charge me for a couple of items.  I hate feeling guilty about things like this so I made a donation to my friendly SA bell ringer at Stater Bros.  Feel so much better!


Linking up to the following.  Hope you take a few minutes to visit … there’s some great stuff to see!

Flea Market Finds @ Her Library Adventures

Penny Worthy Project @ Hey What’s For Dinner Mom

Thrift Share Monday @ Apron Thrift Girl

Second Time Around @ A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words

Twice Owned Tuesday @ House of Grace

Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays @ Coastal Charm

Thrifty Thursday @ Bloggervitaville

Junkin’ Finds Friday @ A La Carte

11 comments:

  1. You did great, Rita! I love that old fashioned light wreath..thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not usually short on words to say but your post has left me practically speechless. Unbelievable finds my friend! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the christmas light bulb wreath you plan to make with the amazingly priced bob (boxes of bulbs!) I'm a "Apron Thrift Girl Thrift Share Monday" visitor and loved reading you today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing amount of finds. I'm completely flabbergasted.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm now a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! great treasures this week! I love them all-I really think it's sad when homemade quilts get donated and afghans too-so much work went in to them and then poof donated
    so happy to have you link up to the Penny Worthy Project-hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful treasures! My favs are the Noel, Peace, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Deal of the century on the quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You landed some real treasures! I love your wall hangings and your tureen. I have found several tureens at the thrift stores and they always are missing the ladles. I buy them anyway they are one of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you really scored. I've never seen 75% off BEFORE Christmas. I love the colorful wreath, and those quilts are wonderful. I can't believe the prices. The quilt in that picture of our baby planters is one of Mom's prized possessions. $3 at the Goodwill bins, and we can't imagine how it ended up there, either. Your baby planter is very cute. I am officially jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow is all I can say. First of all those quilts, they are wonderful. So glad you saved them. You found some wonderful Christmas items also. That was great that you made a donation, I bet the clerks were overwhelmed. Thanks for joining Junkin Finds Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just amazing. Ooh I'm Jonesing to get out there and thrift! The quilts are amazing. I'm a quilt lover too. And that wreath will be so cool when you make it. Gives me ideas!~Ames

    ReplyDelete