I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Best Things I’ve Sold on eBay ~ #5 Madame Alexander Dolls

158

 Item #5: Madame Alexander Party Dress Wendy Doll NIB Sealed

Paid: $3.99 Sold For: $24.99
From: Big Lots/Pic-N-Save Ended: 02/22/07
Winners: So. Carolina, New York, Washington

One day I walked in to my local Big Lots (Pic-N-Save) store; and right by the front door was an end-shelf full of small white boxes.  They were Madame Alexander dolls for only $3.99!  I grabbed four boxes thinking they would make nice gifts.  Well, no one in my circle of family and friends collects dolls, so I decided to put them up for sale in my eBay store.  I was thrilled that they quickly sold for more than six times what I paid!  My $16.00 investment turned into almost $100.00.  I wish I had bought ALL of them!

History: Madame Alexander Dolls have been in constant production since 1923 … that’s 87 years!  Because of their reputation as a well-made collectible doll, Madame Alexander Dolls are extremely well-known in the United States.  For many years, the dolls were produced in New York but today they are mostly produced in China.

The most popular Madame Alexander doll has been the 8" Wendy doll which has been produced since the 1950s.  Wendy dolls include International dolls, storybook dolls and other themed dolls.

Pre-1960 Madame Alexander dolls in mint condition can sell for hundreds or thousands of dollars. However, there was a glut of Madame Alexander dolls produced in the 1970s through the 1990s and many of these dolls can be found mint in box for under $40. Most collectors prefer the modern dolls (1960 to today) to be mint in their original box with tags.

For more information, visit The Madame Alexander Website.


The first Madame Alexander doll I owned was a birthday gift from my aunt when I was very young.  I thought she was the most beautiful doll I’d ever seen!  My aunt passed away a few years ago, and I treasure my doll very much.

I don’t limit my product sourcing to garage sales and thrift stores, although selling unique one-of-a-kind collectibles is a key to my success on eBay.  At $3.99, I knew these Madame Alexander dolls were a “steal” and that I could sell them for much more.  Whether I’m at the thrift store, the market, the drug store or the discount store, my mindset is always on product sourcing.

No comments:

Post a Comment