I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Best Things I’ve Sold on eBay ~ #3 Disney Dalmatian Roly Cookie Jar

069

Item #3: Disney Dalmatian Roly Cookie Jar by Treasure Craft

Starting Bid: $12.99 Winning Bid: $12.99
Paid: $4.99 From:  Goodwill
Ended: 12/11/2006 Winner: Selden, New York

Since this series is about the best things I’ve “sold” on eBay – and not necessarily the best “sales” I’ve made – I’m including this Disney cookie jar.  I’ve sold hundreds of items on eBay and have not only had many successes, but also a few “failures”. 

I found this cute Disney Roly Dalmatian Cookie Jar at my local Goodwill.  It had an excellent price of $4.99 for this great Disney collectible; and since I collect cookie jars, it came home with me.  Let me just say that I wish I still had this cookie jar!

I decided to downsize my collection and put this little guy up for auction.  What in the world was I thinking?!  I started the bid at $12.99, hoping it would attract several bidders since it was December and the holiday season.  I was expecting it to sell for much more, but it had only one bidder and sold for the starting bid of $12.99. 

Although I didn’t lose any money, my research indicates this cookie jar has a value range of $40-$75.  One less jar for my collection, but one very happy buyer.  If I were to list this today, I would list it in my eBay store for at least 3x what I sold it for and wait for the right buyer.

History:   From the early days of brown jars to the later limited editions of popular characters, Treasure Craft has always appealed to collectors, but never quite reaching the status of a must-have pottery. Large well-made jars are typical of the Treasure Craft brand. Although several jars are quite valuable and hard-to-find, most are in the average price and availability category. Fun facts:

  • Treasure Craft was founded in Gardena, California, in 1945 and sold items from California potters.
  • In November 1988 Treasure Craft was acquired by the Pfaltzgraff Company.
  • Treasure Craft ceased manufacturing in Los Angeles in 1995, and items were imported from Mexico and Asia.
  • Zak Designs acquired Treasure Craft in 1999 and the ceramic cookie jars have never been quite the same and now appear to being phased out of line.

Roly, one of the 101 Dalmatians, was a jar produced by Treasure Craft in the mid 1990s. This large jar was heavy and well-made.  Issue price:  $35-$40.  For more information, visit About.com.


EBay has changed a lot during the past few years, and one major and very important change is the eBay Store.  Having an eBay store is basically just a way of selling things at a fixed price rather than in an auction. 

As folks get over their fear of buying via the Internet, a larger percentage of sales are being made online.  I soon discovered that many “regular” folks had very successful stores; and that many of them were SAHMs.  So I made a major decision to open up my own eBay store … and am glad I did!

All I had to do was pay eBay a certain monthly fee (of course) and then just move any item that didn’t sell at auction into the store.  When the right buyer comes along, all s/he needs to do is hit the “Buy It Now” button.  No waiting and no stressing.

Of course, having an eBay store is not for everyone.  But for anyone who thinks they’re ready to start a small business and has the right product to sell, eBay is a great opportunity.

And for those of you not ready for a store, eBay still has auctions and listing an item can be as low as ten cents!

No comments:

Post a Comment