I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Best Things I’ve Sold on eBay ~ #2 Red Wing Pottery

096

 Item #2: Red Wing Pottery Cornucopia Vase #1356

Starting Bid: $1.00 Winning Bid: $33.52
Paid: $1.99 From: Salvation Army
Ended: 12/17/06 Winner:  Minnesota

I was trolling my local Salvation Army Thrift Store when I spotted this unique vase.  I loved its pretty design and green/yellow colors.  When I picked it up, I could tell it was not junk.  It was very solid and had a smooth velvet feel to it.  The price was right so it came home with me.  I immediately went online to find out more about it; and discovered it was made by Red Wing and that it was very collectible.  This vase was categorized as art pottery and was in excellent condition.  I was thrilled when it sold for over $30 … almost 17 times what I’d paid for it!

The winner was a collector from Minnesota so I was glad this vase made its way back to its home state!

History:  The commercial production of clay products began in Red Wing, Minnesota in 1861 by a German potter by the name of John Paul. For the next 116 years, clay products were made commercially in the City of Red Wing by a number of companies and individuals.  In 1967, Red Wing Potteries, Inc. ceased operation and was liquidated after a labor strike.  Today, vintage Red Wing products are highly sought after by collectors. 

In 1984, John Falconer acquired the technical records, name and legal rights of the Red Wing Stoneware Company and stoneware production was revitalized in Red Wing, Minnesota.  It was sold again in 1998 and the team of skilled artisans continue the tradition of producing excellent quality, American made, Red Wing Stoneware.

For more information, visit the Red Wing Collectors Society website and the Red Wing Stoneware site.


I supplement my retirement income by going to garage sales (and thrift stores) and selling what I find on eBay.  And, I’m certainly not an expert on any one thing, but I’m like most folks who have been thrifting and saling for many years.  We’ve learned a few things along the way! 

We get a “feel” for things and can usually recognize quality when we see and/or feel it.  Before buying this vase, I’d never heard of Red Wing Pottery, but I could tell it was a quality vase and thought it would sell well. 

One of the most important lessons I’ve learned along the way is to research and research more!  The more you learn, the more successful you’ll be selling on eBay.

After doing my due diligence, I was able to list this item with the right keywords to attract the right buyer and make a nice profit.  Now, when I’m out and about I keep an eye out for quality pottery products.

1 comment:

  1. Good Job on that!
    I have sold a bit on E-Bay too and it certainly is wonderful when you find something thrifty and then sell it for such a nice profit!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete