I'm a diehard thrifter and garage sale addict! I love the thrill of the hunt! And I love making CASH from trash so I also resell on eBay and Etsy. I share my successes to inspire you ... and my failures so you learn from my mistakes. Please join me on this wild and crazy ride of making cash from trash!

Friday, October 29, 2010

The Best Things I’ve Sold on eBay ~ #1 Windows 95 Mug

2135

It’s hard to believe that my one-year blogoversary has come and gone!  When I started this blog, it was with the intention of highlight my thrifting and saling adventures, but somehow during the past year I’ve drifted from that focus.  I do so enjoy sharing with you the highlights of my life, and it is a way of keeping a written journal of important events.  So I will continue sharing and writing. 

But I also want to highlight some of my best thrifty finds so I’m starting a new series of “The Best Things I’ve Sold on eBay”. 

I’ve been buying and selling on eBay since 1999, ever since I first listed a few patterns to sew clothes for Cabbage Patch dolls.  I was absolutely amazed when they sold between $10-$20 each!  Here I thought they were just “junk”, only worth as a thrift-store donation.  I was hooked from then on!  I’ve got plenty to share so I’ll be posting pretty regularly.

I previously posted about my first item over a year ago, but it was such a fantastic find that I thought I’d start my new series with it.


Item #1: Windows 95 Coffee Mug

2135

Starting Bid: $1.99 Winning Bid: $47.00
Paid $1.17 From Salvation Army
Ended: 06/14/09 Winner: Yoakum, TX

Okay, so you look at this mug and you say "What's so special about it?" Well, it's a Microsoft Windows 95 mug; and there are many folks who collect historical computer memorabilia. Did you know there was even a Computer History Museum? They even have a compu-mug in their collection catalog.

We bought our first PC in 1984. It was a Tandy from Radio Shack and it used a DOS-system! Gee, I wonder what that old relic would be worth now? Anyway, I bought this mug at the Salvation Army for $1.17 because I thought it may attract two kinds of buyers.  I know there are folks who collect vintage computer items and there are also folks who collect mugs.  But I never dreamed it would sell for almost $50!  It’s all about “supply & demand” – this mug is very rare and finding another one would be like winning the lotto!

Another motto I live by is “buy low & sell high”.  I don’t usually like to spend more than 25¢ to 50¢ for mugs, but I knew this mug was special so I was willing to pay the $1.17 for it.  Boy, was I on the money with this one!


There you have it, folks … my first in a series of the best things I’ve sold on eBay.  Be sure to come back as I promise there’s much more to come …

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!!
    looking forward to more of your story!!
    I've often wondered about E-bay..but rarely visit.
    could you give a few instructions on how to get started?
    thanks ever so much!
    warm sandy huigs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I had no idea there was a whole museum!!! Our first computer had the Windows 93 OS. Which sucked. Because Windows 95 was the first one that was internet compatible. Should have waited a year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell us more about this? I'd love to find out more details.

    Also visit my web site Buy Chronic profits

    ReplyDelete